• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
24 bit 96kHz seemed to work ok in and out on my soundblaster. I didnt get ASIO to spin first time so I used WDM. This was 16384 FFT, which was his recommendation for soundcard self-test. Easy to change. Arta is good, even I understand:rolleyes:

Try all combinations in self loop test and keep the best one for THD and noise floor at -10dBV amplitude. The card's own thresholds demands are not great for tube audio testing in general.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Did some more Arta/ground/choke experiments today. I re-did my soundcard test and calibration at 24 bit 48 kHz. I run something like 1578 mV RMS out at -3 dB so the card clipped at self test. I went down to -6 dB. Self test is pic 1.

It says in the Atra documentation to put input near minimum on self test so I set it to 5%. Then I dont know how to do with DOT-tests. First 3 I kept 5% full pot, on the later I went up to 100%.

I released the chokes from their earthground plane with a thin piece of plastic. Quite better at high frequensies now. Pic 2

Pic 3 I took the chokes to audioground (not earthground). Not much of a difference.

In pic 4 I turned the chokes 90 degrees. I cant see any major change there either.

Pic 5 is 100 % sensitivity on soundcard input.

Pic 6 I removed eathground from the whole application (only connects thru RCA to soundcard). Not very good highs there.

Then I tested with different shielding of the chokes with metal, but the curves doesnt move so I can see it. I dont think the choles is bugging me now when I separated them from chassie/earthground. What really interferes is touching/tapping the application. Curves move up like crazy for a sec or 2. Maybe my 50 Hz is some microphonic.

I can see almost the same peaks on Salas measures. Not as big 50 Hz as mine but otherwise it looks quite alike.

What I dont know is to interprete this. What does the curves say?

Attachments

• Soundcard Test5.png
    Soundcard Test5.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 331
  • 6V6 choketest 1.png
    6V6 choketest 1.png
    67 KB · Views: 343
  • 6V6 choketest 2.png
    6V6 choketest 2.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 332
  • 6V6 choketest 3.png
    6V6 choketest 3.png
    67 KB · Views: 333
  • 6V6 choketest 4.png
    6V6 choketest 4.png
    69 KB · Views: 341
  • 6V6 choketest 5.png
    6V6 choketest 5.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Just a couple of observations. -150dB noise level is not very realistic. Another thing, the cables can pick quite a lot of 50Hz (and harmonics). Can you post a test at the same volume level, with no cable plugged into the sound card?

BTW, which sound card are you using?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
-150dB noise level is not very realistic. ?

I guess that is because I measure with only 5% input level on self-test. As the Arta guy recommends. I dont know why.

Another thing, the cables can pick quite a lot of 50Hz (and harmonics). Can you post a test at the same volume level, with no cable plugged into the sound card?

The cable I just spent a lot of work to fetch where it is now, because the comp is like in a desk-drawer-thingie. But I can maybe just switch input digitally?

-
BTW, which sound card are you using?

An old Soundblaster Elite Pro

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
You'll be amazed how much unshielded cables will pick from the environment. They don't even need to be near psus. Run with no cables and let's see what it looks like, that will your reference noise. Also, you should do the calibration in Arta. That will give you some idea closer to reality, of dBs.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Oki Iko:D

Heres
  1. Calibration of output level in Arta with Picoscope
  2. Calibration of input level that clips at - 3 dB
  3. Chosen level - 9 dB
  4. Taking input sensitivity down to 5% for self calibration
  5. Spectrum test cables in loopback
  6. Test with input cable unplugged
  7. Cable plugged back

Attachments

• cable in again.png
    cable in again.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 127
  • cal no cable.png
    cal no cable.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 124
  • soundcard levels -9 dB.png
    soundcard levels -9 dB.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Cal soundcard.png
    Cal soundcard.png
    84.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Cal output2.png
    Cal output2.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Cal output 1.png
    Cal output 1.png
    138.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Cal output.png
    Cal output.png
    228.4 KB · Views: 126
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Aha, you meen lower output in windows mixer so I get 1 VRMS out instead of 1,527?

I couldnt find out so instead I calibrated input with picoscopegen 1 kHz 1 V Pk-Pk instead of the Arta/soundcard gen. A more beleavable result in level I think?

Attachments

• input cal w pico.png
    input cal w pico.png
    135.7 KB · Views: 332
  • cal w pico.png
    cal w pico.png
    80.4 KB · Views: 327
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Well, levels is one thing. I was maybe more interested in thoughts of the deviances/peaks. I can see on one of your measures Salas that you have them on the same places in some pics. 50, 160ish, 200 etc. Mine is a little bigger and some more. Is it way out for an unshielded test setup with chokes or am I on the ballpark according to Arda?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well, levels is one thing. I was maybe more interested in thoughts of the deviances/peaks. I can see on one of your measures Salas that you have them on the same places in some pics. 50, 160ish, 200 etc. Mine is a little bigger and some more. Is it way out for an unshielded test setup with chokes or am I on the ballpark according to Arda?

Your card levels look better now. Mine is R loaded bootstrap with input AC coupling, has a big trafo near also, not double mono. When I drive with signal those harmonics vanish from the FFT so I think its the Tx mechanical buzz they pick up when idling and I just watch the noise floor. Still my microphony is minimal.