• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6sn7 tube anode folower question?????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi DIY audio Guys.Im justz dealing for the first time with tubes in my life.I will put together some anode folower with 6sn7 tube for output in my cd player where the signal is taken directly from dac output legs(TDA1305 dac) vie capacitor in to the grid of tube.So now my questions are.:confused:
I have put together CCS power supply that gives me B+ 170V(i mesured without the tube) the plate voltage is 75V (mesured from anode to cathode),I dont know the curent,becouse I dont know how to mesured it.Im using 16Kohm resistor between the B+ and anode and 360 ohm resistor from cathode to ground.Plese help me to understund how to calculate the best anode current for the anode,is the 75 volts plate voltage to low and how to incrase that,that my 6sn7(tungsol new production) will be sound at the best???
I will be verry happy for some help.
Thanks, Rado
:)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
6sn7 anode folower help.......

Sorry Guys I just forget to tell you that I use only one tube for both chanel.So half tube per chanel.I just want and wish if someone can help me how to figured out the best anode current for this tube and how to incrase or decrase the anode and cathode resistors to become best results for my tube?
Thanks again.
Rado

I'm not clear what you're trying to do. Your description doesn't sound like an anode follower. Could you maybe describe what the circuit function has to be (input impedance, output impedance, gain) so that people can give you some intelligent guidance?

Do you want the circuit to act as an effects box or to be sonically transparent?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,
...thanks for fast response.I just have make a fast schematic on what I wish to do.I dont know if the anode folower is the right name for this but on the internet is so many diferent schematics on this.I just have take the simplest one.I hope it is OK and it will work.
Tanks,Rado ;)

Attachments

• 6sn7 schematic.jpg
    6sn7 schematic.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 354
Joined 2009
Paid Member
6sn7 output tube stage for dac.......

Just for the record.Im using this output stage for my cd player that have build in the Philips TDA1305 dac.This dac is voltage out dac with strong signal about 1,5Vrms.So I dont need so many attenuation.I know I could simpy build some cathode folower, but I will become a litle attenuation to,so I hope I will get around 3-4Vpp output from this design.Thats the reason I have use 6sn7 tube with medium attenuation factor.
Regards,Rado

What you have there is not an anode follower- it's a degenerated common cathode stage. It will have a high output impedance and uninspiring distortion figures. You'll want to think about a different topology to get your desired ~6dB of gain and a low output impedance.

If you want to use a 6SN7 as a voltage amp, you'll likely need higher voltages. If you're restricted to lower voltages, use a different tube (e.g., ECC88). For a topology, you might think about a two tube section, a voltage amplifier and a cathode follower, with feedback taken from the cathode follower output back to the grid of the voltage amp to get you the desired gain. This will also give you low distortion and low output impedance, both good things.

Another possibility is a 1:2 stepup input transformer with a cathode follower at the secondary. This won't be cheap if you want a high quality transformer, but if you stay away from fashionable producers and go to professional suppliers (e.g., Jensen, Cinemag, Sowter...), you could probably get good ones for well under $100 per transformer.

Joined 2009
Paid Member

HI,
...thanks for fast response.OK I have made a mistake.I just have think about this methode becouse some guys have build this ,end report good results.And I have the part on my home,so I have thinking to build this tube output stage.So plese than for advice,what would be the best solution with minimal cost and parts to build some tube stage for my cd player.What about cathode folower(buffer or so).There are also verry many designs,but wich is best for the most best posibile sound out of 6sn7 tube???
Regards,Rado

Joined 2009
Paid Member

Hi,.....just want to ask how about this design.On Decware site i find this,an many,many users are verry happy with this,like I have reed on the decware forum.Is this not the same thing,like I have in mind with the 6sn7 tube???:confused:
Regards,Rado

Attachments

• zkit4schematic.gif
    zkit4schematic.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 317
Looks like you have a lot of learning yet to accomplish before you even consider this.

Hi DIY audio Guys.Im justz dealing for the first time with tubes in my life.I will put together some anode folower with 6sn7 tube for output in my cd player where the signal is taken directly from dac output legs(TDA1305 dac) vie capacitor in to the grid of tube.So now my questions are.:confused:
I have put together CCS power supply that gives me B+ 170V(i mesured without the tube) the plate voltage is 75V (mesured from anode to cathode),I dont know the curent,becouse I dont know how to mesured it.

Ohm's Law: E= IR

Im using 16Kohm resistor between the B+ and anode and 360 ohm resistor from cathode to ground.Plese help me to understund how to calculate the best anode current for the anode,is the 75 volts plate voltage to low and how to incrase that,that my 6sn7(tungsol new production) will be sound at the best???
I will be verry happy for some help.
Thanks, Rado
:)

For future reference: Loadlines. This is how hollow state design is done, once you master the basics.

Joined 2009
Paid Member

Hi....
...thanks for answers.Yes I know I must learn verry verry much of this tube world.Thanks for the link,superb material for studie.I just deside to go with Black Dahlia 6sn7 preamp version to build,and let see what will comme out of this project.I have almost all parts on hand so I just will try to do my best.
I will report in a week or so what is comming out of this preamp.Im truly new to tube world,but till today I have build several gainclones,some 30-35 pairs of speakers,so the electronic world is not new to me,but tubes are another beast, like I se now.
Thanks guys for help and have I nice hollydays and I wish all the best in New Year 2014.
Rado:cheers:

Joined 2009
Paid Member

...yes I understand.The Decware is like some verry simply option to become tube sound in or out of the system.I just have thought that is bether to build some preamp on the basis of the 6sn7 tube with volume pot build in,so I will become some tube sound in my system and I can always try to change my cd player to some other cd player and upgrade the system.I think this is bether solution.So I have see the Black Dahlia schematics and its looks,after reading the all day till now over and over some stuf about tube buffers,preamps and another tube stuf,that it is not so dificult to build and like I have say before,I have almost 90% parts on hand,so let try it and see waht it will be for my first tube project.
Rado;)

Attachments

• BVCIR3.jpg
    BVCIR3.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 170
Joined 2009
Paid Member

Hi......
....yes,thanks,its fine design.I just think about to build this design on the picture below.What about this,I think zhis is allso some option of gain amp followed with cadthode follower.Is this right??
Its simple and pure design.I would elevated the heater and it will probably work.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 6SN7 mu-follower.GIF
    6SN7 mu-follower.GIF
    44.6 KB · Views: 135
If you're not experienced, keep it simple for your first few builds! Mu followers, correctly designed and implemented (and there are many tricks and pitfalls) can work very well, but you don't need anything that complex or difficult to get operating properly/reliably. And you absolutely don't need high gain!

Joined 2009
Paid Member

Hi Sy......
...thanks a lot for your answer.So now at the end I realy will decide between this two options,wich to build(see pictures).So the one is a MU follower and another some is Franks 6sn7 preamp version.Now I have one wuestion.I know that by Mu follower it is verry good to elevated the heaters to around 70-90volts.But I dont know If I must elevated heaters by Franks design to??
Plese for help!:confused:

Attachments

• 6SN7 mu-follower.GIF
    6SN7 mu-follower.GIF
    44.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 6sn7 line stage.gif
    6sn7 line stage.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 129
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.