• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6SL7 - grid stopper values

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently removed the volume pot on my push pull amp in favour of a bit-perfect digital volume control.

After removing it, I've realised I will need to ground the input stage and also put a grid stopper (which was missing). I've seen values of 100k up to 1M for the input grounding, and also values of between 220R and 1k for the grid stopper.

What values will minimise noise/RFI?

Attachments

• mrd.gif
    mrd.gif
    95.2 KB · Views: 654
Joined 2011
I've realised I will need to ground the input stage and also put a grid stopper (which was missing). I've seen values of 100k up to 1M
for the input grounding, and also values of between 220R and 1k for the grid stopper.What values will minimise noise/RFI?

The higher the grid stopper, the better the rfi rejection, but values too high may work with the input stage's Miller effect to roll off the highs.
The resistor to ground will be in parallel with the source impedance, so its value won't usually cause a noise problem.
Since the source will usually have a coupling capacitor, that resistor shouldn't be small enough to cause a loss of bass.
Too high values and an open input may result in bias change due to grid leak.

There is a formula to calculate the gridstop required which is based upon the gm of the tube.
I recall that using that formula for a 12AX7 resulted in a value of 4K7'ish as the minimum value. 6SL7 has a very similar gm to a 12AX7 so I would use the same 4K7 value.
The formula was in either Morgan Jones "Valve Amplifiers" or Merlin Blencowe's "Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass".
Cheers,
Ian

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Much smaller values are effective for preventing oscillation which I presume is the concern here. The gm of the 6SL7 is frankly low enough that in many cases you could get away without it with careful layout. I would minimize the value as the stopper will generate significant and possibly audible noise. I would stick to 1K or less.

Thanks all - I have tested values from 220r through to 10k with no audible changes, so 1k should be fine. At least it has eliminated this as a source of hum!

The amp has a nasty hum which increases if I touch the chassis. I thought it would be linked to rfi. If I turn the amp off, it lingers for a while. Perhaps it is a ground loop as I've tested the heaters with dc, AC and elevated + centre tap resistors!

You forgot to include Miller capacitance

No I didn't, human hearing is to 20kHz correct?

2.8pF is the value for grid to plate capacitance. Multiply 2.8pF by the gain and add the grid to cathode capacitance. I just guestimated the gain of the stage to be 60.

(2.8*60)+3=171

1/(2*3.14*47000*(171*10^-12))=19812

So I was just stating that he probably wouldn't hear a difference all the way up to 47k grid stopper value.

The 'grid to ground' resistance affects LF rolloff, not HF rolloff.

Yes of course.

Last edited:
1k appears to be working fine so far, but since I removed the volume pot, the circuit is oscillating like crazy, which makes me think that the pot was simply hiding some underlying issues with the circuitry anyway.

All the grounding is done correctly (ie. output xfrmer negative tap is grounded, mains earth is grounded, input rca shield is grounded, circuit board with PSU is grounded, driver stage circuit board is grounded). It's not a star grounding (I intend to fix this later), but I've checked and it's all grounded fine. Heater hum is non existent either.

I thought the grid stopper and grid leak resistors might have something to do with the oscillation....so far no luck.

Yes of course. Metal film resistors give a metallic sheen to the sound. Carbon composition gives a warm glow, like a coal fire. Metal oxide resistors just sound a bit rusty.

:D

I've not found that relatively low gm tubes like the 6SL7 really need a grid stopper at all... though it won't hurt anything.

If it were a 6C45pi or 5687 it would be a different story.

Pete

Really enjoying this thread and learning a lot. This is a little off topic, but why did you choose the operating point where you did. Unless I'm reading the curves wrong, the tube is visibly nonlinear in that region.
Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• 6SL7DIYAudio.jpg
    6SL7DIYAudio.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 283
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.