• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6R-A8???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a TVA-10 a couple of years ago, soon after I renewed my interest in tubes. It was a bit lack lustre in performance, which is down to its age - I could see the cap for bias adjustment was bulging, and the output tubes are probably ripe for replacement.

I confess I am in awe of this amp, and hence it has been gathering dust so I can acquire more skills, renovating some old Quad 2’s, for example.

For safety’s sake I do intend to replace the electrolytics - they are getting on for 50 years old now. I have been considering some minor mods to improve ruggedness, and was wondering what others think.

I am very keen on Patrick Turner’s writings, and he uses a simple warning system to monitor cathode current balance in tube pairs. If there is a significant difference, then a run away tube is suspected, and power is disconnected. I planned to fit that monitoring, with some sort of bias balance circuit between the channels. Then I can just use closely matched pairs of tubes, which feels more of a realistic goal than having 4 tubes that need to stay in alignment for their lifetime.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of Tim, is that gilding the lily?

20ufd/120vac film caps is what i used to replace the old swollen cap...if i can find 22ufd/630vdc caps that will fit,i will use them in place of the ecaps used in this amp..
i also reduced the grid leaks to the power tubes from 470k to half of that...

yes a matched quad is a must when using in this amp...years ago I purchased a quad of JJ6L6GC's and i was amazed to find out that they indeed biased exactly the same up to the first decimal digit....i hope the quad JJEL34's i got from the same vendor biased the same...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.