• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6N6P in an Aikido?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
6N6p in Aikido

Hi Erik

Thank you for answering me.

About the transformer and a 20 % "overdraw" from one of the 0-6,3 V for Aikido, the second 0-6,3 V feed the 6x5 G in the power unit. According to the data sheet the current draw for 6x5g is 600 mA. The total capacity from transformers 6,6 V is 5A.
As you said, I am going to sleep well with 3 A from one side of the transformer as long as it is not unpleasant to hold my finger on the transformer.

Regards

Eivind Stillingen

Just got hold of 10 x 6N6P tubes for a good price. 2 USD each!!

They have a slightly lower gain than the 6N1P which is what I'm looking for.

Was thinking of using them as the input tubes on my Aikido with the 5687 as output tubes.

Cathode resistor value? 220 maybe?
I'm running the 5687 with 200 ohms.

These are ok as the input tubes?

Brit01

I suppose you already have the aikido playing with the 6N1P at the input and the 5687 at the output? In that case you can just take out the 6N1P and plug in the 6N6P, as both have the same pinout and draw about the same heater current.

I do not know your operating voltages, but I have seen people using from 100R to 220R cathode resistors for the 6N6P, wit apparently little difference in perceived sound quality. Post your operating voltage (B+) here and we may look for a decent operating point (with decent being an operating point that allows free swinging of the input signal without grid current being drawn...)

Don't expect to much gain loss from the replacement, I would say it will be probably less than 6dB.

With 210V B+ there is about 100V anode-cathode for each tube, plus some voltage to burn up in the cathode resistors. Looking at the curves I think you want at least 10mA of current, a bit more (12,5mA) would put you at a grid voltage of ~-3V, which offer enough headroom for the line level input (about 2V RMS). That means that your cathode will be at 3V. 3V divided by the current of 12,5mA = 240R. A 220R will do perfect! Nice guess you made before?? If you decide to go for 250V and keep the 220R resistor the current through the 6N6P will raise somewhat, probably settling at about 16mA. That is still comfortably within the 6N6P ratings...just check if your supply can provide (probably not a problem...)

I know John Broskie published common values for the Aikido, but (and I am very happy with that) his site has got so many inputs on the Aikido that you will have to do quite a search, I think.

Yes JB recommends 198 ohms for the 5687 at 250 B+, and 220 ohms for the 6N1P at 250 B+.

I followed his advice but lost some B+ of course. I had 250 before I changed the Cathode resistors to run the tubes hotter.

Now I want to raise it back up to 250 keeping the same value Cathode resistors.
Current through the 5687 is about 15 mA right now. JB recommends 20mA at 250 B+.
And about 3 mA through the 6N1P's. He recommends 5mA at 250V.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.