• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6N3 Preamp Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Take the output transformers out of it, where do you need to swing a couple hundred of volts? For a line stage like we are speaking of here more than a couple of volts may be too much.
The distortion spectra of triodes or JFETS depend on the bias point selected. JEFET’s need not be biased to the flat end of their performance curves where they look like pentodes. The left hand end of the JFET curve family slope and look more like triodes and produce even, mostly 2nd, harmonics. It is all fun!

The point is that JFET’s need friends too. That will leave more tubes to us diehards. I like 6BQ7’s and black plate 5670’s. The 5670 will roll right in the circuit in post number 1.

DT

But I like output transformers.. :D I might like SITs too..
Seriously though you do make some good points and I am a participant in the zen>sen>cen thread current conveyor thread - should be more fun than the monolithic devices I'm currently using. More tubes for us can't hurt either.. :p

Can you give me your opinions on which of the Russian 6N3P versions -E, -EB, -EV have good specs. I am using a Yarland FV34C111 which originally came with Chinese 6n3 valves. I’ve just replaced these with Russian 6N3P-EB which need more run in time to make any assessments, there seems to be an improvement over the Chinese valves already, I realize the ac voltage adjustments need to be made to these input tubes for a better comparison.
Very informative thread as far as 6n3’s being suitable for audio.

Hi I am newbie and I would really appreciate some help regarding this tube pre-amp and transformer kit that is available online:
Yuan Jing Audio - 6N3 + 6Z4 Rectifier Vacuum Tube Pre-Amplifier + Transformer [A] - USD $46.70
Here is what the seller says about the voltage ratings:
Voltage Range: Dual AC 120V ~ 180V and AC 6 ~ 9V
Recommended Voltage: AC 150V-0-AC150V / > 10mA and AC 6.3V / >4A
Included Transformer: Input: AC 220V , Output: AC 150V x 2 and AC 6.3V / 10VA

Now, I live in India where the mains voltage and frequency rating is 220V/50Hz. What I want to know is whether this preamp with the transformer will work in my country.
Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.