• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6N16 Valve break-in time

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

I'm new here.

I just got my solid state Yamaha A-S500 amp upgraded with Elna Silmic 2 capacitors and two dual triode 6N16 valves.

Does anyone know the burn in time for the triodes, and the capacitors, and how much better does it sound after break-in time?

Look forward to replies, and thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi all

I'm new here.

I just got my solid state Yamaha A-S500 amp upgraded with Elna Silmic 2 capacitors and two dual triode 6N16 valves.

Does anyone know the burn in time for the triodes, and the capacitors, and how much better does it sound after break-in time?

Look forward to replies, and thanks in advance.

I wouldn't consider adding mini-tubes as upgrade, but rather degrade. Considering what your Yamaha is, do not expect any change from swapping capacitors.

There were no tubes before the subminature ones were installed.

I don't know what B+ means or how much is on the anode power supply.

I know that Nichson 680uf for 250V was used on the anode power supply

Sorry for lack of info, I had the work done by an engineer.

There were no tubes before the subminature ones were installed.

I don't know what B+ means or how much is on the anode power supply.

I know that Nichson 680uf for 250V was used on the anode power supply

Sorry for lack of info, I had the work done by an engineer.

6n16b are Russian made mini tubes designed for applications where weight and space are limited. Their parameters are worse than ones of regular sized tubes. And in case of Yamaha they can't add anything other than distortion. I once saw radar system made on these type of tubes, but it was mobile station manufactured in early 1960th. And if I recall correctly they are limited to 100 volts at plate.

Last edited:
6n16b are Russian made mini tubes designed for applications where weight and space are limited. Their parameters are worse than ones of regular sized tubes. And in case of Yamaha they can't add anything other than distortion. I once saw radar system made on these type of tubes, but it was mobile station manufactured in early 1960th. And if I recall correctly they are limited to 100 volts at plate.

Which parameters are worse? And worse than parameters of which tube?

544_1.gif

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.