6n11 + 3886 build questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Let me try to sort through and answer some of your questions.

39/0/39: 21.5/0/21.5: 12.5/0/12.5: 3.5/0/3.5

The amp requires 65v and 8v for the tube power and heater.

I'm making a SWAG that the increased voltage to the tube power will result in approx 109v, ish instead of 91v. I'm certainly not an expert on tubes, but it seems that this wouldn't be too much of a problem unless it sends too much output to the input of the chip.

The extra 20 V on the tube will move the operating point a bit. If you are curious, you can download the data sheet for the tube and see how much things change.

Tube Datasheet Locator: TDSL Tube search
Frank Philipse's Tube Database: Frank's Electron tube Pages

Speaking of which, the coupling capacitor that was recommended was a 3.3uf 100v - but the best match that I could find was a 3.3 400v...
The bridge rectifiers that I installed can handle 800v, 4a. The original specs asked for 200v, 2a.

Both of those are fine. As long as the capacitance of the coupling cap is the same and it can handle the applied voltage, life is good.
For the rectifier, as long as it can handle the applied voltage and current, life is good. Last I checked 800 V > 200 V and 4 A > 2 A, so you're fine there.

The heater voltage I'm not so concerned about because the 12.5v (instead of 8v) goes through a voltage regulator, an LM7806, whose max input is 35v.

You'll dissipate more power in the LM7806 with the higher input voltage. You may need a bigger heat sink there. The LM78xx series have thermal protection built in, so you probably won't fry the chip if it gets too hot, but you'll have your amp turn off periodically if the chip is too hot.

The chip voltage will see 21.5v instead of the 25v recommended.

By "The Chip", do you mean the LM3886? If so, ±22 V is no problem. You'll get slightly less power than with higher voltages: 25 W vs 33 W based on rough back-of-envelope calculations. That's a 1.2 dB difference. That's barely audible. Don't worry about it. Enjoy the cooler running amp instead.

~Tom

FWIW: 6922 works pretty well at lower voltages -- like 90VDC or so. new production 6922s from JJ or ElectroHarmonix are good enough for most purposes and inexpensive.

Yeah, I just didn't (and don't) want to have to throw more iron at the problem.

The options suggested by the designer were to use the ~70vdc or so available from the lm3886 rails or supply 65vac for about 90vdc, and in either case this then goes through a 1kohm -> 100uf RC filter for whatever losses i don't care to try to calculate because I'm unsure how much plate current was drawn in the original design with the 6n11.

What I'm planning on currently, what I've simulated in psud2, is using a couple large high voltage soft recovery rectifiers that i already have, and a couple 1000uf 100v caps that i already have, as a voltage doubler across the 50vac or so from the transformer powering the lm3886 side

at about 20ma of combined plate current i should have somewhere just over 100v. with less than 1mv of ripple after it settles. Or i can throw in a $8 hammond choke for way less than 1mv of ripple. Which should do fine for the 6n23p i already have.

I also have some vintage 6dj8 types.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.