• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6L6 SE Stereo HiFi amp DIY Build Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks PRR, I did some research on guitar vs audio OT's, where guitar is ~50hz-10K, audio needs to be ~20hz-15K+.

I have many guitar OT's to chose from, but I want to build a tube stereo to listen to music/play along to.

I have a Monoprice (I know not by any means audiophile) tube/solid state hybrid, where I was thinking of just converting the power section to tube, but when I opened it up I saw junk parts so I figure I'd build from scratch.

Basically, I need a stereo tube system to;
-listen to music low or loud ��
-play along with up to 50W of guitar tube amp noise.

This circuit used to be on the Angela Instruments site. I built it as 2 monos with a 5AR4 in each because I had 2 small power transformers and 2 small chokes. Had some hum until I rotated the OPT 90 degrees. Sound was OK.

Attachments

• Angela_EL34SE_Triode_1.jpg
    Angela_EL34SE_Triode_1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 236
  • Angela mono.JPG
    Angela mono.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 232
Thank you Kenneth, but that is a $100 tube (website says 70W dissipation? What a beast) I'm a little confused here.<snip>

Yes. In pp EL34 can produce the power output that you specify. Actually if the EL34 have real good quality as those produced in the 50s to 60s, you may squeeze upto 100W from a pair of EL34s in pentode connection.

But those DHT fans always boast "SE prevails".

So... if you like the sound of SE amp, KT150 in parallel might offer you a safe option other than those real breasts that requires B+ at about 1KV.

I'll offer a different opinion here. If you do indeed want/need 20-ish watts of power, you could investigate the 6C33 tube. The output transformer isn't particularly difficult to find, and you can even use some speaker distribution transformers and plate chokes to go parallel feed. With 250V of B+ and some hefty current, you'll get close to 20W without too much trouble.

It is truly surprising for me to see that in this sector, the tube sector, Americans tend to use something Russian, but in East Asia, such as in Japan, South Korea and even mainland China, people are still ferverishly talking about something like Western Electric.

What has happened? I just wonder...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.