• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6JM6 Infomation for Pete Millett's DCPP Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Did you ever put yours in a case?

No, I never made a case for it, nor have I built a proper power supply. Procrastination, and a long list of unfinished projects keep this from happening. I don't think that it will ever get mounted.

I got it for experimentation, and to make experiments easier I put all of the components on the same side of the PC board as the tube sockets. This makes eventual assembly into a chassis a bit more difficult. I tinker with it, then it goes on the shelf for a while. A new idea pops into my head and off the shelf it comes. I have been playing with this one for almost a year now, which is an eternity for me and my "short attention span." I am still learning things with this amp, and there are still a few things that I don't quite understand yet, so it keeps my attention. I am not sure which will happen first, I lose interest, or the PC board falls apart.

I think the fact that this board has lasted that long with so many changes and abuse ( in the nicest possible way ) is a testament the whoever produces Pete's boards!

Reminds me, I must order mine!

Keep up the abuse, it's a great read and insite for newbie's like me!

Cheers

Repeated soldering on the same holes and making the wrong parts fit where they shouldn't is what usually kills boards. The goo from exploding caps doesn't help either. Proper layout for this (oversized holes, larger than normal pads) is what helps them last. Pete did a good job. Remember he said that he did a conservative design for ease of build by rookies. I just used up his margin of conservativeness! I think that 250 WPC is probably as far as I will take this board. I am back to tinkering with more conservative power levels, like 100 WPC.

I have a Simple SE board that has survived multiple reincarnations, including some life as a push pull amp, and then used for all of the glowing tube experiments from 1 to 2 years ago. It still works, but looks pretty nasty now.

I have some extra Simple P-P's that I built to take the pictures for the manual. There should be some extreme experiments on them when I can get more than 1 hour at the bench.

Tubelab.com, I think I will stick with the 6JM6 set I've just won on ebay

You can get 35 to 50 WPC from them if you turn the B+ up a bit, or choose a lower impedance OPT. I think I was getting over 30 watts by using a 6600 ohm transformer, simply because that's what I had.

Last edited:
George, in your experience do you think a 3mm top plate would dissipate the heat from the 2 power MOSFETS? as I’m really not keen on any of the heat sinks I’ve seen!

Will get the thing working then try a few mods to up the WPC if required? I don’t want to muck about to much as (a) I'm a newbie (b) I believe in one change at a time to keep control (c) I clearly have a much smaller stock of parts!

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.