• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6DJ8 or 12xx7 for hybrid amp (Monarchy)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
anatech said:
Hi Interious,
I would rebuild the Heathkits to original spec. Possibly replacing the caps with modern parts. They will sound good.

Since you are a DIY guy, experimenting will lay the groundwork for what to do next. Build your own circuits up.

I buy from New Sensor these days, Electroharmonix where I can. Sometimes 7581A's from the Jan / Mil stock.

-Chris
Chris,,
Very good on New Sensor, which I have seen mentioned.

I'm not a very good audio DIYer, more of a fabricator, so I can build any electronic device if I have the schematics and materials. You guys blow me away with your knowledge of theory.

I have an Extra class Ham radio license but my knowledge base doesn't reflect it--obviously from my posts.
Dave

anatech said:
See, it didn't even hurt. Are you going to do it again?

-Chris
If you mean post another topic--very possible!

I'm upgrading my entire system. Next will be a DAC, preamp,
or DAC/preamp combo--remote controlled, motor controlled volume control would be nice. TAD-150? Scott Nixon DAC? Waaay too many options. Makes me koo-koo.

I've got a Pooged DAC 960 that is dead. I think the problem is in the digital domain and I have no idea where to even start or if it's worth fixing (TDA1541A, 1994).

I'm thinking about dusting off my vinyl collection so I'll need a phono stage which will be tubes. That's a discipline all its own. And a TT and cartridge...Aaaaahhhh!!

Dave

amperex said:
Only found one 6CG7 I did like- Raytheon black plate with center shield in the older red & blue box with white lettering. Careful, later Raytheons in the red & white box were made in Japan.
I don't mind some of the early Japanese made 6CG7's. The Matsushita's (sp?) sound fine to my ears.

But yeah, those original Rays ...whoa!
Hard to beat!

Interious said:

How about NOS RCA 6CG7s, 60s-70s production?
The original RCA black-plates I quite like. Though they would be from late-50's early 60's. Good balance of everything.

The latter and more abundant "clear-tops" which is probably what you're asking about are considered by some, to be the best out of any brand. They're definately "up there"; but about 5-7 different kinds within this type are known to exist. And I certainly haven't heard them all, so I can't comment on what any differences might be. But they're plentiful and not too expensive. Which at very least makes them good value. At least one of these versions might be considered a little 'bright' in the 'wrong' system.

Some of the other types I've heard and like:

Some of the early Sylvanias (I have one JAN pair from around 1958). Nice detail without stridency. Tight bass too (but on my system I could do with some more in that dept. :p )
There's at least one other type of Sylvania that I haven't heard yet. But no-one else has especially raved about them yet, so I've been taking my time in aquiring a set.

The Brimar's (made in England) I quite like (available from Kevin Deal). They have a typically nice British mid-range. A little lighter-weight in the bass than I'd like, also. But this would be ideal compensation on an overblown system. (These comments should be considered in an 'absolute' context - it's not like the bass is 'missing' or anything)

The Raytheon black-plates as per above, are superb. Best I've tried so far (in my system). Good everything, forward projection, palpable body, great frequency extremes. Might be too much of a good thing in the 'wrong' system. (Which of course, is why I keep a couple of some other above types around as my system might change :) However in saying that, it's difficult to imagine such a situation where they might be considered 'bad'!)

I have one "made in Australia" Mullard (to my knowledge, Mullard U.K. never made a 6CG7 :bawling: ), it's an unassuming performer, but doesn't call attention to itself as being outstanding in particular area. Again, not necessarily a bad thing in the right system. Also a pair of AWA black-plates (Australian of course) which are also "up there" with the 'very good'.

As per my previous comments whilst these above differences do exist (for me) and worth seeking out, they're not as dramatic as within brands of some of the other tube types (eg 6DJ8's, 12AX7s). Given that observation, I was surprised that the Ratheon managed to sound that much better; but there you have it.
Note too that some brands might be better performers in some circuit topologies than others. As of this moment my 6CG7's are wired in a cathode-follower position ( :xeye: ) in my preamp's output, but I've previously had experience with them in common-cathode configuation too.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Keep in mind that how much difference a tubes makes to the sound depends on the circuit.

I have also heard some differences, but I refuse to pay huge amounts of money for NOS tubes that sometimes are not as good as some new production.

-Chris

Majestic--
Thanks for that 6CG7 info. VTS said he has them from the "60 to 70s".
I'll have to make sure their the original black plates.

Chris--
New Production: I've been doing some research and new production tubes get a radically mixed bag of reviews. Ei comes up a lot so I ordered a cheap pair of Ei Elite Gold 6CG7s from Thetubestore.com--not much to lose on that gamble.

A search for New Sensor reveals 2 sites: Sovtek.com, which carries Sovtek and Electroharmonix, and Turnstyle.com, which carries those brands and more--Svetlana, Tesla/JJ, etc.
Dave

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
New Sensor is where I buy. The Electroharmonix have given me no reason to complain. I have used the 6L6EH in Fender Twins with no trouble, and in Baron amps. I've also used the 6CA7EH in Barons and my own stuff (6L6EH too) with no complaints. The 6922EH have been really good as are the 12AX7EH. I want to try the 7591EH next in my Eico ST-70.

-Chris

Interious said:
Majestic--
Thanks for that 6CG7 info. VTS said he has them from the "60 to 70s".
I'll have to make sure their the original black plates.

Note that the second RCA type type that I was talking about: the "clear tops" (called that because they don't have their getter on the top of the tube as per normal), don't have black plates. (The earlier black plate versions have normal getters). Either type are both good sounding versions (with the caveat that I haven't heard every type of clear top); it's really a question of preference, and both can still be found (black plates because of their age are rarer) with effort, so you can try both for yourself to see which you prefer in your system/circuit.

Interious

I over built a 2 that is more like a 1.2 with a few less outputs.

60V rails 16 fets/channel 4A bias (sometimes more, sometimes less. I have a pot I play with)

CRC PSU that drops 6V

I can't stand to take them out of the system to finish the casework.

My avatar is one of them. Search my name and Aleph 2+ and you should find the thread

monarchy se-160

hi all,
Ii was wondering why are to kinds of this pwr. amp (or my be more).
One kind with one toroid trafo, and one with a second EI trafo. in side.
what kind of topology it is, SE or PP ?
does any body have a schematic of this amp, could be quite similar to the Counterpoint 100watts.
Best regards
Williams

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.