• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6CB5 in triode PP?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good morning George:)

Here is the chassis layout so you can see what I am working with. I'm going to use the pots on the front of the chassis to overcome the 6GFA variance in gain if it is experienced.

30A7FB25-0284-452F-8B0B-807DA0A8B42F-36529-00001C9E59D3EB39_zps1c2da98e.jpg

I can keep the B+ around 340V or so if I do not use a doubler.

The outputs transformers are Hammond 1650T that are capable of 120W. They will handle a little over 400mA per side on the primary. I cannot shift them up or down because my speakers are 4ohm almost through the entire bandwidth.

I added the 6DJ8 up front in case I need more gain to swing the output stage.

Regarding the regulation, I was thinking about using something like the OB2 for neg bias, and trying one of the SS regulator circuits for my screens. When using a regulator tube for neg bias, do you install it , "backwards" since it's a negative supply?

Thanks!

Blair

Seems to me you would be better off getting rid of the first tube and using a push pull driver {12Bh7, 6N6T Ecc99}. Maybe even a cathode follower direct coupled to the 6cb5 such as a 6BL7 or two.
That is how I intend to do my 6CB5 amp. 6N6T voltage amp Phase splitter;6N6T PPull driver, two cathode follower 6BL7's.
Phil

OK,

After what may be the worst Holiday season ever, $30K insurance claim from water damage on my home, loss of a car, the list goes on..., I'm back to looking at this project. Is a single OA2 sufficient to deliver enough screen current for two tubes? An OA2 can deliver a regulated 30mA at 150V.

I was thinking about a single OA2 per PP pair.

Thanks!

Blair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.