• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6C33C/6H6P amp - which one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Using toroidals have given me bandwidths out to +50khz and they have been dirt cheap power units.
There are also no hysteresis issue to speak of so no low level detail loss, and crystal sharp bass down to 10hz.

Shoog

OK, it is now clear to me that you have no clue.
The B/H curve of a SE output transformer is more horizontal (because of the DC pre-magnetizing) than the B/H curve of a PP output transformer.
Hysteresis as such however is essentially the same for both types, and is more a function of core material.

OK, it is now clear to me that you have no clue.
The B/H curve of a SE output transformer is more horizontal (because of the DC pre-magnetizing) than the B/H curve of a PP output transformer.
Hysteresis as such however is essentially the same for both types, and is more a function of core material.

You should go away and do some research on what a toroidal OT can achieve - you will see that I have made no false statement here.

You may have a bias towards SE, but I think a well designed PP amp using toroidals as OT will wipe the floor with it - and I am by no means alone in that belief

Shoog

Even at 200mA an SE output is going to be rolled off- all SE outputs are by design.
PP is the best way to use these to get the best performance. I have not used a 6C33C but have built 6080 PP amps which work on very similar lines. PP using these types of tubes will best a 300B SE amp - and I have that from someone who put their 300B amp into retirement after building a PP 6080 amp (for the cost of 1x300B valve).

Shoog
My 300B SE amp has been given away to one of my students after building something similar. Also,perhaps before anyone else accuses Shoog of talking nonsense they should actually check the Russian datasheet for the operating point of the 6S33S; high current and low voltage just as he says.

You should go away and do some research on what a toroidal OT can achieve - you will see that I have made no false statement here.

Shoog

Go away? Where?
It is some 15 years ago that I built my first tube amplifier; it was a PP 6C33.
On hand was a toroidal output transformer (not a cheapy power supply one).
Being not satisfied with the sound and the toroid's sensitivity to DC unbalance (actually always there with high transconductance 6C33's) I wound my first output transformers on c-cores (yes, PP but with minor air gaps). Being struck by the importance of good quality transformers I went on winding - must have wound over a thousand until now for all kind of tubes. Did you do the same research?

Go away? Where?
It is some 15 years ago that I built my first tube amplifier; it was a PP 6C33.
On hand was a toroidal output transformer (not a cheapy power supply one).
Being not satisfied with the sound and the toroid's sensitivity to DC unbalance (actually always there with high transconductance 6C33's) I wound my first output transformers on c-cores (yes, PP but with minor air gaps). Being struck by the importance of good quality transformers I went on winding - must have wound over a thousand until now for all kind of tubes. Did you do the same research?

So you would have to admit that if you address DC balance - toroidals have intrinsically superior performance.

Maybe you would like to explain to the crowd how much you would expect to pay for a commercial SE 6C33C output transformer - and where you might get one. These are the real issues here concerning suggesting a project.

Shoog

My 300B SE amp has been given away to one of my students after building something similar. Also,perhaps before anyone else accuses Shoog of talking nonsense they should actually check the Russian datasheet for the operating point of the 6S33S; high current and low voltage just as he says.

I know the 6C33 specs by heart.
Maximum dissipation 60 watts; dissipation in practice better not over 40 watts.
In that respect the 500mA is, once more, nonsense, and if you don't agree please come up with a design with that amount of current.
Yes, 6C33 is a high current low voltage tube, but within it's specifications.

So you would have to admit that if you address DC balance - toroidals have intrinsically superior performance.

Shoog

No!
Because there are other parameters as well.
Much has been written on this forum on this subject.
When you prefer toroids for your reasons, please use them.
I never regretted my choice for c-core transformers, not only for audio but also for power supply.

Maybe you would like to explain to the crowd how much you would expect to pay for a commercial SE 6C33C output transformer - and where you might get one. These are the real issues here concerning suggesting a project.

Shoog

There are several companies offering output transformers for the 6C33 in different qualities; easy to track.
If you are able or willing to invest in a good quality output transformer I think it is a good investment; output transformers last a life time; tubes wear.

But I guarantee I could match your performance at a much reduced cost. If it was purely a matter of throwing money at the project then I would be inclined to throw the money.

This is not trying to be antagonistic, its a position which should seriously be considered when seeking top performance.

Shoog

Last edited:
Using toroidals have given me bandwidths out to +50khz and they have been dirt cheap power units.
There are also no hysteresis issue to speak of so no low level detail loss, and crystal sharp bass down to 10hz.

Shoog
Yeah that is one tube 6c33 to use a normal toroidal power transformer 115V+115V/15V+15V as PP-OPT.

I aspect high performance of such a concept at low cost.

I would think about 250mA at 100V plate to cathode. Should give a reasonable life.
Shoog

Yes, and no more than some 15 watt of output power for the PP amp, not very efficient with over a hundred watts of anode + filament dissipation.
200mA / 200V (two third of max power dissipation) is a better operating point also giving good life expectancy and some 30 watts of power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.