• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6B4G and ECC83

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello everyone!
I am wondering if I can substitute one ECC83 with two 75 tube in the next schema
kind regards!
claudiu

Attachments

• 6B4G-EL34.png
    6B4G-EL34.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 898
I don't understand people using ECC83 with directly heated triodes . I have built a few such as the Shishido 2A3 and was never happy with the sound . Better off with an ECC81 , ECC85 or 5965 for high mu drivers . These have much lower Ra and should be able to drive the 6B4G grid nearer to 0V so more output power available . Expect around 2 watts with an ECC83 and 6B4G and nearly double that with a <10k Ra driver . Then there is also the ECC83's ability to drive the miller capacitance , which will limit the HF and may lose a few dB at 20kHz (which is audiable) , hence the reason why SRPP has been chosen in the design

316a

I don't understand people using ECC83 with directly heated triodes . I have built a few such as the Shishido 2A3 and was never happy with the sound . Better off with an ECC81 , ECC85 or 5965 for high mu drivers . These have much lower Ra and should be able to drive the 6B4G grid nearer to 0V so more output power available . Expect around 2 watts with an ECC83 and 6B4G and nearly double that with a <10k Ra driver . Then there is also the ECC83's ability to drive the miller capacitance , which will limit the HF and may lose a few dB at 20kHz (which is audiable) , hence the reason why SRPP has been chosen in the design

316a

Fully agree. Most "loftin-white" amplifiers are actually not "loftin-white". But there are ways to make ECC83 work FAR better. I am getting well over 2 watts and am using 6SL7 - Directly coupled with no coupling capacitor or cathode bypass. I will post my schematic in the next post...

Last edited:
Nobody can say anything to me about this schema?

It never sounded that special to me when I tried it.... and I tried many kinds of designs like it. If you take a look at the plate curves and do some maths then you will probably figure out why.

I directly coupled 6SL7 to 2a3 and it sounds truly superb. No cathode bypass either! :D

But I did it in a special way. see below and google Darius Loftin-White to learn more on how it can be done. Even ecc83 can drive 300b if you do it like Darius did. It won't have that old radio tube glow though...

Attachments

• 2a3_Loftin-White.jpg
    2a3_Loftin-White.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.