• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6AS7GA as push pull output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I sometimes imagine that people think I just make these things up, but here is a description of exactly what I experienced with my valves in a headphone amp:

You are being redirected...

So thats three first hand accounts of spontaneous ringing-microphonics from the 6AS7.

Just to be clear here, no other amp I have ever built and designed has experienced similar behaviour driving exactly the same speakers, using the same preamp tubes to boot. Believe me the 6AS7 is the only common factor.

Shoog

Last edited:
...here is a description of exactly what I experienced with my valves in a headphone amp:

This tread should be dealing with 6AS7GA as Push pull Output amplifiers.
A headphone amplifier is no reference at all. There are operated at a few volts signal level and in PP beyond 300 Vpp.
The difference is 30...40 dB. Of course this also means 30...40 dB difference in S/N.
In addition there is quite a difference in sensitivity between earphones and speakers.

6AS7G is fully ok as an output tube for PP-amplifiers. There are a lot of "live" examples about this.

Last edited:
Not wishing to get into an argument here - but what you are saying is that myself and multi are lying about our own personal experience with "very sensitive speakers" and the 6080.
So you have never encountered this behaviour - so all witness statements to the contrary must be wrong. NICE.

Ringing or self oscillation has little to do with the signal been amplified - it is a physical property of the behaviour of the valve and so can manifest at any signal level superimposed over that signal. Let me also reiterate that for most people with average to high sensitivity speakers will probably never encounter this at an audible level.

Shoog

Last edited:
Have a look at the schematic below for a 6as7/6080 driver + output stage combo:

• that does not burn high wattage in the cathode resistors
  • is easy on the Ub (+280V)
  • is able to comfortably swing 290Vpp on the drivers, without any exotic parts or phase-bending iron
  • gives high output with low thd (~13W, ~ .5%) in pure class A
some gnfb will tame the zout and any overshoots.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 04.12.gif
    04.12.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 555
So you have never encountered this behaviour - so all witness statements to the contrary must be wrong. NICE.

I did not say that.

Let's agree that with PP-power amplifier there is no issue by microphonics, assuming that the design and construction is well done.

But with is some cases, for example with headphone amplifiers, some builders have faced problems by above mentioned reason.

I did not say that.

Let's agree that with PP-power amplifier there is no issue by microphonics, assuming that the design and construction is well done.

But with is some cases, for example with headphone amplifiers, some builders have faced problems by above mentioned reason.
Lets not assume anything of the sort since where I encountered the ringing was in a PP output stage. I cannot see any mechanism where a PP would suppress ringing in a given valve where that ring could not be symmetrically and equal in both halves.

Why would it surprise anyone that these valves would be microphonic, after all they were never intended as audio finals and would never have been optimized for silence in that application. In fact all of the design decisions that went into optimizing them for their intended purpose, series regulation, would make them susceptible to microphonics (think about that massive grid structure and huge undamped cathodes).

This is really starting to annoy me at this stage.

Here are a few more examples of people finding 6AS7's microphonic:

what causes microphonics??? | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Post 3198
For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... | Page 214 | Head-Fi.org

Tired of listening to output transformers? Make your next project an OTL amp using the military-grade Philips JAN 6080WC output tube. This NOS U.S.A. made tube was subjected to the most rigorous vibration tests for military use, and as a result, should prove to be less microphonic than the Russian versions, and last longer too.
Philips JAN 6080WC OTL Amp Project | Mojo Shout

So will all 6080 variant be microphonic ? No
Will many people not hear the microphonics even when present ? Yes

Shoog

Last edited:
If we take this point of view, we could say that 300B is a tube with hum problems.
We can find hundreds of post telling this. But we know that this is not the case with 300B.

Is the reason that some people can make better performing amplifiers that the other?

I don't know what has gone wrong with those dozen 6AS7G PP amplifiers that my DIY-fellows have built, since those do not have a sign of ringing or microphonics.

If we take this point of view, we could say that 300B is a tube with hum problems.
We can find hundreds of post telling this. But we know that this is not the case with 300B.

Is the reason that some people can make better performing amplifiers that the other?

I don't know what has gone wrong with those dozen 6AS7G PP amplifiers that my DIY-fellows have built, since those do not have a sign of ringing or microphonics.

Maybe you should address the one issue which has been highlighted here - what sensitivity were the speakers those twelve people were using ? Have you ever applied one of your amps to a 105db/w pair of horn's or like in my case a 100db/w vintage field coil drivers.
Since the power output is in the region of of 20watts - I very much doubt it.

So are you actually talking from relevant experience or just your experience ?

And yes a 300B amp which has audible hum shows that 300B are prone to hum - and that is a common experience.
If you have to apply special measures to tame a valve then that valve has an intrinsic flaw. I would call the need for DC heaters as just such a flaw.

Shoog

Last edited:
With insensitive speakers is possible to get away with lots problems, hum, micro-phonics ; I have friends who claim there amps are hum free when I connect them to my speakers the hum is so bad all you can do is Shut them down, as fast as possible, same with Micro-phonics no use asking if people using 84DB speakers if they get micro-phonics from 6080’s. Building amps for 105db speakers you have to get everything correct; I have had no problems with any other tube but 6080 & 6AS7.

There must be. Check again:D.
Your taking a very argumentative and bloody minded attitude to all this.

its quite possible for any number of people to have non-microphonic or ringing 6080's based amps without it invalidating the general statement that 6080's have a tendency to microphonics.

Two statements are not necessarily exclusive and in need of "a win" in discussions.

Shoog

Don't take this too serious and personal. This is just a hobby.
Maybe I and those who had not observed microphonics have had better tubes and therefore succeeded well.
I fully believe that you have heard something from 6080's that I haven't .

...general statement that 6080's have a tendency to microphonics.

I am not aware about this.

Last edited:
I noticed that I have already got your .asc at 2016.
I have only used cathode bias according to original suggestion by RCA.
How that "mixed" bias has been working ?
The idea is based on info provided in the ECC230 philips datasheet. I have not actually build one such amp, since you can build more powerful and better spec'ed EL84 amps with much fewer parts in comparison.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.