• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6550 Williamson - Low Bass Response...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Johan;
On your 1st point; I tried on several designs to obtain a succesful solution to curing the slight rise in the LF response below tranny cutoff; On some circuits a 10uF electrolytic cap in series with 470K was used; however with the extra components I never gave this chassis space.
On your 2nd point; I done some of work on this; a common cathode configuration is far better, gives better balance and with some cathode feedback degeneration to the grids drastically reduces IM thd. However, I haven't done this on 6SN7's as it is already the best tube for this application so the benefits may not be worthwhile.
On your point 3: The reason that the 47K resistors were used is that this was the recommended value with the NOS 6550A version; however, considerable improvements have been made to subsequent versions which up this value in fixed bias as you say around 100K. I recon there aren't many NOS A versions about now.
Trimming the overshoot squarewave response with snubber is done on the 1st stage anode. I will readup some old trade notes about this.

richy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.