• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6418 tube preamplifier - Oatley Electronics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use it as a headphone amp and I can hear clearly that the vocal is NOT in the middle, it's more to the right, together with all sounds.
so I guess the bias between two tubes is not equal.

I use Stereo Potentiometer.
I hope the new version will fix that.

Cal

No, not necessarily - the effective bias for both tubes should be the same, note however that the effective plate voltage isn't because that filament is floating 1.2V above ground. I think there might be a bit of an issue with the first tube's bias as well, but apparently it works well enough in practice.

List of parts

Here's my BOM
Resistors: all resistors 1% metalfim types
Caps: C1,C2,C4,C5 MKP1837 0.1uF C7,C8 Elna Silmic ARS 220uF 25v
Trimpots: Piher 1M
Opamp: OPA2134PA

I replaced the opamp socket with a better one and connected a decoupling cap (a "104") to the supply pins on the reverse side of the PCB.

For the tubes I came up with a diy socket. I butchered a large IC socket to make two 5-in-line sockets for the tubes. Tube (re)placement now is quick & easy.

Anyone can report the list of materials that comes in the kit? Which site is all the connectors, in Mouser?

Beftus, how much the cost of your modification? It would be valid to have placed 470uF instead of 220uF?

The pcb can be easily modified for a better distribution? The new model on eBay is not so practical.

just got mine

mine just arrived in the mail, its the new improved version K272A with the 2 power supplies needed.

I'm going to replace the resistors, caps and op amp with better parts, and perhaps use something like this:

Low Voltage Adaptor Kit - Jaycar Electronics

with a walwart replace the batteries..

I'll just be using mine as a line level preamp.. I'll stick in a stereo potentiometer and a 3 input selector switch as well.

OPA623AP

I used the burr-brown OPA623AP, on the main board, it dropped right in! I have not done the phono section. I don't know if the one you want to use will work. As I said, I changed all the caps except the silver mica, those were made by siemans and are very good. Here's some pics.
Peter C.

Attachments

• DSC08231.jpg
    DSC08231.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 323
  • DSC-08229.jpg
    DSC-08229.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 327
This kit make me have an ideas in DIY a new headphone amp. , but the kit shown that the filament is connect in series. In the case the filament is driving in 1.25*2 that will be 2.5Volt. < that's the place that i does not understand, filament connect in series are unusual ? And as the kit said the op amp gain is equal to the R7 / R3 which is 1Meg /1Meg = 1 but why this resistor will be that large? what's the reason?

I've modded mine a bit by putting it in a larger box and adding an Alps 50k stereo pot for volume control. I also added an on off switch and run 2 batteries in parallel.
As I have no headphone socket on my main amp this sits between DAC and amp.
I have added a pass through so that when the headphone amp is off the signal is routed to my main amp and when on the pass through is open cct.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.