• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6336A valves

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
> Re: your loadline: I'm sure you're well aware that an OTL is never ran in class A

> instantaneous plate dissipation well over limit

I was taught conservatively. Loadline should not cross the dissipation limit line. (Exception: hard-driven inverters with very fast rise times may often cross through the "forbidden zone", as long as you are sure they "can't" stall in that area.)

I've questioned this idea. Midrange audio is quick enough that the plate won't overheat significantly in a part-cycle. And for normal speech/music in near-B operation, peaks above the dissipation limit are extremely rare. However I have seen trouble (not well investigated) when exceeding the Pd line and doing full-power testing. Even though the plate as a whole will not overheat, small hot-spots can get into secondary emission and runaway problems.

And of course we are free to abuse our plates if we accept the loss of lifespan. The TAKI circuit that Frank posted apparently runs peak current 150% of rated DC current (OK, probably) and peak dissipation 200% of rated dissipation (OK, maybe, especially on speech/music and an understanding that the tubes may not live forever).

> The 6080, 6AS7G, 6C33C, 6C19P and such are all prime candidates.

For the massively-parallel OTL designs, I'd rather not see precious tubes (ones that will never be made again) abused.

Great points, but let me add this: 95% of the worlds OTLs cannot survive longer than perhaps 10 minutes in a real full power sinewave test. Plates and currents are as a rule driven well over the maximum ratings, taking into account the high peak/RMS power ratio of audio signals and thermal inertia of relatively large plates used in typical OTL tubes. There are alo sother problems but I won't go in depth here.

Some time ago I've done an extensive analysis of a class AB OTL circuit (a circlotron - but the data applies to practically any PP topology).
Rare tubes are definitely not for use in OTLs unless you want one that wil last a short time or one which is very low power.
Basically, amongst triodes you have the following to chose from:

6S33S - it's biggest problem is that it's heaters dissipate more than it's plate, leading to a lot of heat in a small space. To boot, the plates are massive so the structure holding them mates directly into pins which transfers plate heat into them very efficiently. Finally, they are almost impossible to match, which is needed for parallel operation. The only viable alternative are separate drivers with adjustable static and dynamic balance, fortunately 2-3 tubes in parallel will get you to usable power output so having 3 drivers is not such a huge additional cost to pay for proper load distribution and extended tube life.

6S19P is cheap, and 4-5 in parallel are an equivalent of a 6S33S. The advantage is that heat can be distributed better and the sockets do not suffer as they do in the 6S33S case. Disadvantage: again, balancing. The low price helps, and they seem to be fairly stable with age so selection for balance is possible.

6S45S is about 40% of a 6S33S but uses the same socket which compensates for it's lower price. The higher Rp also does not help.

6AS7, not to be confused with 6080 (see below) - two of them in parallel are roughly equivalent to a 6S33S but with about half of required heater power. The russian equivalent is slightly lower spec than the original but in this case thios is a bonus as it makes paralleling easyer. The 6080 is generally less suited for an OTH precisely because tubes are generally driven well over spec. 6080 does not have the huge G1 cooling fins of the 6AS7 and wes it will go into runaway and go poof. Unfortunately. Unless some means of balancig is provided, and since 2 6AS7/680 are really 4 triodes, and realistically for 20W or so you would use 2 banks of 4 tubes, doing this with separate drivers is usually well out of the question. But the fact remains that out of all commonly available tubes the output power vs heater power vs number of tubes equation is actually the best, followed only by the 6S19S. Cheap octal sockets, easy distribution of heat and fairly low price are a bonus - but prices are going up.

Great points, but let me add this: 95% of the worlds OTLs cannot survive longer than perhaps 10 minutes in a real full power sinewave test. Plates and currents are as a rule driven well over the maximum ratings, taking into account the high peak/RMS power ratio of audio signals and thermal inertia of relatively large plates used in typical OTL tubes. There are alo sother problems but I won't go in depth here.
so much problems just to avoid a transformer..:D

Running these valves with low ratio OT brings the best of both worlds. The protection offered by an output transformer is essential for rare vintage speakers. The ratio makes excellent performance possible at both bass and treble extremes. Power is far more efficiently used and less tubes are needed to achieve it.
A good 6-7watt PP amp can be made with just a single bottle of 6AS7 running at 100mA and 100V across the tube. I would guess it could easily match the performance of most OTL amps.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.