6-way volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody.

I made a single two chanel passive preamp. Sorry for the quality of the photo.

I used a µcontrolleur atmel and the result is very good.

Attachments

• pre2_2.jpg
    pre2_2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,125
The R-2R ladder is a possibility, but I used constant impedance attenuators for my preamp. These are L-type ones, with relay switching. No uP, but an optical encoder (you can get the components for this out of a defunct pc mouse and mount them on a pot with a bit of imagination) feeding an 8-bit up-down counter (6 bits used). Using the preset input of the counter to get a certain volume at power-up.

If you make 6 of them an connect the relay input together it works fine.

Don't know why you make a fuss about the phase at 20kHz with a 200kHz filter when going suround. The phase problems associated with suround are orders of magnitude worse than that.

Hello,
Sorry for my bad explication, my passive preamp is controled by the µC, the potentiometre used is an ALPS with motor, the source selector is made with 3 relays and the µC decode IR information and command the volume and selection.

Soon I'm going to try to work on a 6 ways preamp based on Burr-Brown PGA 2310.

If you want precise informations about my two ways pre, don't hesitate.

Bye.

Attachments

• diyaudio.jpg
    diyaudio.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 774
Another solution consists in building a 6 chan pot yourself.
This is what I did for my latest 6 chan preamp :

Final result :
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A 2 chan and a 4 chan Vishay P11 pot :
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The 2 chan is then glued to the bottom of the 4 :

More details here (in French

http://johnix.free.fr/cocorezo3.php:cannotbe: )

jgwinner said:
Google is your friend ...

Google language translation

Very nice looking amp!

Where did you get the chassis/cabinet for this? It looks like Monacor, and from a quick look at Google it looks like they aren't in the US. Darn!

The volume control is a great idea, I'll have to get some of these Vishay P11's and mess around with that.

Indeed, its Monacor 19" aluminium chassis

Hi there

I have been working on the same idea fo sometime now and my thread is located at : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32427&highlight=
Its been a while I ve been working on the same, just final touches need to be given to layouts, and will accomodate 4 PGAs meaning an 8 channel sound, and PIC16F877 as uC, and output relays, once I am through slight prototyping will be done and then on to production house for making about 50 or so PCBs. if needed I could post the schematics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.