6,5" to 7" midwoofer for sealed enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Visaton is possibly the only higher quality product that can be bought in my country as the people that used to import Scanspeak and Seas do not stock them anymore. Thus, I have spoken to many people that have played, measured and built projects with these drivers. What I mostly hear is the inconsistency of the products - some have fluctuations in the TS parameters of over 20%. One of them said that he has received some with weak magnet systems...
The coated cone versions are very compromised drivers whose advantage was price, in the recent years they got so expensive that to me it makes no sense to buy them. The much cheaper TVM drivers are not far behind in sound quality. The Al series - a guy who built a project with them said they are not much worse than the Seas Excel, although I didn`t like the sound of this D`Appolito design he presented then.
But consistency remains the big issue there, I am not sure if this is built in Germany or even in Europe.

Visaton is possibly the only higher quality product that can be bought in my country as the people that used to import Scanspeak and Seas do not stock them anymore. Thus, I have spoken to many people that have played, measured and built projects with these drivers. What I mostly hear is the inconsistency of the products - some have fluctuations in the TS parameters of over 20%. One of them said that he has received some with weak magnet systems...
The coated cone versions are very compromised drivers whose advantage was price, in the recent years they got so expensive that to me it makes no sense to buy them. The much cheaper TVM drivers are not far behind in sound quality. The Al series - a guy who built a project with them said they are not much worse than the Seas Excel, although I didn`t like the sound of this D`Appolito design he presented then.
But consistency remains the big issue there, I am not sure if this is built in Germany or even in Europe.

Bulgaria is part of the EU, isn't it? If so, why can't you order from some other country in the EU without any customs hassle?

Last edited:
There is this relationship between suspension stiffness and Vas that is quite interesting. The SB has a much lower Fs, but twice the Vas of the Peerless. Put them both in a 20 litre BR enclosure, and the F3 of the system will be about the same. In view of the Qt (SB<.38<Peerless) values of both drivers, they would both work fine in a 20 l. enclosure. The Seas would need a much larger enclosure in view of the high Qt, at least above Vas (30l.).

A further issue with the Seas is the FR, which has the typical Seas increase >500 Hz. If you know how to work with this, it is nice, because you can make a filter that straightens it out, and then you might subsequently gain a filter order at Xover. It is your typical 1st order electrical, 2nd order acoustical sort of speaker. Nice if you know how to sort out a filter tuned to this behaviour, and if you know how to do this, you know that you can't do it without measuring equipment.

The Peerless has a nice, uncomplicated FR, with just a bump at 7Khz, so you can calculate a textbookfilter for this driver with a reasonable chance of success, without doing acoustic measurements.

vac.

There is this relationship between suspension stiffness and Vas that is quite interesting. The SB has a much lower Fs, but twice the Vas of the Peerless. Put them both in a 20 litre BR enclosure, and the F3 of the system will be about the same. In view of the Qt (SB<.38<Peerless) values of both drivers, they would both work fine in a 20 l. enclosure. The Seas would need a much larger enclosure in view of the high Qt, at least above Vas (30l.).

A further issue with the Seas is the FR, which has the typical Seas increase >500 Hz. If you know how to work with this, it is nice, because you can make a filter that straightens it out, and then you might subsequently gain a filter order at Xover. It is your typical 1st order electrical, 2nd order acoustical sort of speaker. Nice if you know how to sort out a filter tuned to this behaviour, and if you know how to do this, you know that you can't do it without measuring equipment.

The Peerless has a nice, uncomplicated FR, with just a bump at 7Khz, so you can calculate a textbookfilter for this driver with a reasonable chance of success, without doing acoustic measurements.

vac.

Yes there is relationship. In closed box, suspension can looser because of air suspension. This is not bass relex topic, second you can simulate and find out that Peerless with Fs 58 Hz!! and Qts 0,40 is very much all but good for sealed.

You seem to forget that Seas measurements are done in enclosure so there's baffle step loss. I'm very much sure that Peerless measurement is infinite baffle.

What I mostly hear is the inconsistency of the products - some have fluctuations in the TS parameters of over 20%. One of them said that he has received some with weak magnet systems...

That's a good point. Nowadays people seem to forgot listening, there's nice measurement of speakers and properties of electronics, thousand watts and zero THD --> so they are Perfect:confused: Problem with measurement of speaker is that it's done to one speaker usually. What if they aren't matched pair?

My point was that listening in your own room in the most important job to do.

Martin,

The classic seas paper is very forgiving ;)

I used the ER18RNX, a very nice driver, in a MTM not a 2.5, 30L@43Hz, 91dB/2.83V. I was impressed by the very tight bass. The tweeter is the monacor DT300+WG http://i23.servimg.com/u/f23/11/13/40/71/img_0110.jpg

I also know the CA22RNX, H1288, in a 2.5, 91dB/2.83V. The 3KHz peak can be suppress with a notch filter. The crossover could be simple LR2 2.2KHz. A tweeter with 90-91dB could do the trick.
You can go to a 3.5 or 3 ways, add a 5" midrange, The MCA 15 ? You will have a big speaker ;)
Projet ASTASIA I -Seas CA22RNX + MCA15RCY + Vifa XT25TG30 - Enceintes
Poor Man'
3-Way Classic

Let us know your final choice ;)
How do you rate the midrange with the MTM ER18RNX. I am weighing whether to use L18 alloy or ER18RNX.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.