• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

5v3a

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 5V3-A is a rectifier tube. I am not aware of any designs that include such a beast in their audio path, so asking what sort of "sound" it has is like asking whether or not the hi-octane gasoline will make your car go faster.

That is, it may have an effect, but the difference the engine makes will be much larger.

There are certainly subjective differences between tube and SS rectification in power supply "sounds", but in my limited experience the difference between specific rectifiers (and moreover, brands) seems to be much more of a crapshoot.

koolatron said:
In that case, the 5V3-A that will sound the best to you will likely be the most expensive one on eBay. Make sure it's NOS.

Precisely.

DC is DC. If grounding and layout are done properly and care is taken to not couple switching spikes into the system, the rectifier is very uncritical. Except in the fevered imaginations of tube rollers and (more seriously) in badly designed and laid-out circuits.

SY said:

Precisely.

DC is DC. If grounding and layout are done properly and care is taken to not couple switching spikes into the system, the rectifier is very uncritical. Except in the fevered imaginations of tube rollers and (more seriously) in badly designed and laid-out circuits.

I don't doubt that this is true, just like power cords shouldn't make a difference in a properly designed power supply.... but I would argue that both power cords and rectifiers are in fact audible in most gear, so the percentage of equipment that features "badly designed and laid out circuits" must be extremely high. Having owned equipment that is more or less sensitive to power supply changes, I believe this argument makes sense, and goes a long way to explain the differences of opinion people have about rectifiers, cables, etc... producing audible differences.

Dave, not owning much commercial gear, I can't speak to that from personal experience. But I'm not an engineer, just a hobbyist, so it's somewhat surprising to hear that professional engineers from major companies can't handle that simple task.

Aldo, I suspect you weren't even born when I built and listened to my first tube amp. But if the Kool-Aid tastes good to you, who am I to say any different? I'm still not sure what a 12AX7 has to do with rectifiers...

And I should qualify something I said before- rectifier differences CAN be heard in most musical instrument amps because of the difference in internal impedance.

oldeurope said:

No, rectifier tubes provide you different operating voltages.

Darius
Hmm, what does this mean? Do you mean same PT, same primary input voltage, and same type of rectifier tubes will provide different operating voltages? If different operating voltages is feeding into the same circuit, I certainly will expect different sound. Can you elaborate?

Thanks,

I have some magic pebbles the you spread around your rectifier and under your silver power cords, they increase dynamics and keep your silver from tarnishing! Only $100 a pebble... :) Just kidding, there all in my fish tank anyhow....

Now I've been picking rectifiers on how cool they look, Mercury vapors and 6d22s with cool anode caps!

Couple things.. I have an old Bell Carillion 6060 that uses 5V3's and those things are really robust rectifiers. But I think they run on 4a (I've not looked it up) which excludes it from a wimpy 3a winding. Nice slow warm up, too. I have not tried different ones, so no comments on sound.
Now, do rectifiers have a "sound"? My experience is yes! In fact, just a week or so ago I had my wife listen with me to a PP KT66 DIY amp first with 5U4's and then with 5AR4's. The sound was dramatically different. Just to rule out the larger v drop related to the 5U4 we also tried 5R4 and it sounded much more like the 5AR4. Bottom line, we both immediately disliked the 5U4 in this application. So yes, they do have a sound.

athos56 said:
I have some magic pebbles the you spread around your rectifier and under your silver power cords, they increase dynamics and keep your silver from tarnishing! Only $100 a pebble... :) Just kidding, there all in my fish tank anyhow....

Now I've been picking rectifiers on how cool they look, Mercury vapors and 6d22s with cool anode caps!

Isn't that the only requirement for for rec's besides voltage and current. Thats why I picked 827's for my rectifiers, oh wait or was it because I will be pulling over half an amp for the b+.

Anyways how do those magic pebbles sound after they have burned in for awhile, do they improve. LOL

Nick

nhuwar said:

Isn't that the only requirement for for rec's besides voltage and current. Thats why I picked 827's for my rectifiers, oh wait or was it because I will be pulling over half an amp for the b+.

Anyways how do those magic pebbles sound after they have burned in for awhile, do they improve. LOL

Nick

After reading about people drinking coffee brewed from beans that passed through the digestive track of a cat I tried it with my magic pebbles, but my cat wouldn't eat 'em :(

Seriously, I will concede that the quality and makeup of the PSU will effect the sound that comes out of the speakers (ie guitar players who rely on the sag in the psu for a certain sound) But I wouldn't place the effect sqarely on the tube, but more on the interactions within the entire system.

pchw said:

Hmm, what does this mean? Do you mean same PT, same primary input voltage, and same type of rectifier tubes will provide different operating voltages? If different operating voltages is feeding into the same circuit, I certainly will expect different sound. Can you elaborate?

Thanks,

i believe what was meant here is that ss rects have about less than a volt drop, whereas a tube rectifier can have 12 volts up in drop, that is why the difference in operating points, right Darius?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.