• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

5670 Thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
NOS 6386's are worth their weight in gold! The 6386 is a variable Mu version of the 5670. It was designed for AGC control in RF or IF amplifiers. It was used as the control element in virtually audio compressor made during the vacuum tube era. The Fairchild 660 and 670 are still being used, and the tubes are getting scarce.

yes, i have a pretty good idea of those compressors and will do them in time....;)

JJ is offering a re-issue of the 6386. No idea how good or bad it is though.

I haven't tried it because it is priced at over $100 each!

I have a fair collection of used 6386's. I started down the road of mapping out the distortion VS level and gain characteristics of the 6386 in the Fairchild push pull VGA circuit. I was looking for another way to get similar results with a $5 tube. This is on hold until I rebuild my lab.

There are a few TV tuner tubes that others are using in Fairchild knock offs, but the distortion characteristics don't match.

The 6386 puts out a fairly high amount of second harmonic distortion. This varies with applied signal level and gain control setting. Most of the 2H is cancelled in the output transformer IF the tube sections are well matched.

I played around with several tube types in my "El Cheapo" circuit installed in a Scott 299B. I tried all the usual tubes like the 12AT7 and 6072, but found the 12AV7 my favorite until I tried the 5670. This is a very good sounding amp and the 5670 is well worth trying. I bought about a dozen of them and was easily able to find a couple with matched sections.

Attachments

• el cheapo 5670.jpg
    el cheapo 5670.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 993
I use them as a driver for 300B outputs (Bottlehead Paramount amp). It's a long life, high reliability design, so the cathodes are high purity and quiet. I've found the parameters to be unusually stable. Very linear, even better than the 5965 (a previous favorite for linearity and clean cathodes). Tiny little thing, you barely notice it next to the 300B!

Thank you for pointing out terrible, horrible, unforgivable, suicidal (and probably made to kill other family members) power supply on image I used. So so so sorry about that... That was not my image and that was not my intention to tickle with it.
My interest is in opinion about building se pow amp with one 5670 per chanel. I heave seen 12ua7 or other dual triodes in such "bedroom apms". I would like to build something of my 5670 since I heave a lot of those. I jus wonder if anybody did it? (without killing family embers or pets in house)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.