50w Single-Ended BAF2015 Schade Enabled

My first prototype is up and running.:D

I had tried to get it all on one breadboard, but on first test the input transformer was picking up hum.

So, I now have the power supply on one (the original) board, and the circuit + heatsink + input transformer on the new board.

Setting up the bias needs a steady hand on the adjuster pot, but 4.64v is the setting right now.The test voltage takes a while to stabalise, so only adjust the bias in small steps and wait till the test voltage stabilises,it can take several minutes. 4.7v is a good starting point.

Sound quality in mono with an old speaker seems very good, and can't wait to get the second unit finished and listen in stereo.

Congrats Pre 65

Exciting :cheers:

My input transformer primary and secondary winding have 4 market dots like on schematic.
Think i do connect them that way.

Attachments

• DEDD3FAA-7CC2-4021-BD2F-49D3CBA6D7C8.JPG
    DEDD3FAA-7CC2-4021-BD2F-49D3CBA6D7C8.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 824

I had tried to get it all on one breadboard, but on first test the input transformer was picking up hum.

So, I now have the power supply on one (the original) board, and the circuit + heatsink + input transformer on the new board.

Setting up the bias needs a steady hand on the adjuster pot, but 4.64v is the setting right now.The test voltage takes a while to stabalise, so only adjust the bias in small steps and wait till the test voltage stabilises,it can take several minutes. 4.7v is a good starting point.

Sound quality in mono with an old speaker seems very good, and can't wait to get the second unit finished and listen in stereo.

Do your heat sink run burning hot :redhot: ?

Why did you change your mind?

I recently heard the pre65 amps at a DIY event in England driving a pair of open baffles. They sounded fine though it was difficult to tell much given the acoustics of a large reception sized room with unforgiving speaker placement. The heat sinks measure 13" x 8" x 3" and barely get warm when the fan is running.

There are photos at Ray's Retirement: Owston - a visit to DIY Audio Land

The amp sounded good enough to persuade me to build a pair when I get back to the US. I have enough heat sinks and I am going to go the SMPS route. I had wondered about doing a 48 volt version but after discussion with pre65 I will go with 60 volts. Hopefully my Mouser order will be waiting for me at home and I will get them done before September when I head off to Oz.

ray

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The schematics I have seen here have a variable current source, so actually
the draw is only constant on average. The draw will vary temporarily
from 0 to about 2X bias current, depending on the "gain" of the current
source.

This means that your SMPS needs to be rated more than twice the bias.

You can fix this by using a constant current source, but you get an efficiency
and performance hit.