500W RMS PA Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sakis,
I don't know how you interpreted my comments.

Upto after that everything is completely different. I cannot seen any agreement nor similarity in our approaches to understanding what is going on !!!!

never said that our approach is similar .... i just tried to say that your calculations about thermals, efficiency , consumption , and power output are correct as usual ... ingenious is on the same path i think ....

i only wanted to point that real life commercial amplifiers are not constructed under the same calculations or aspects

your way of thinking might be more than hifi and a flawless design .... only its not actually possible to produce due to size and cost ....

where did you source input power = 6kW?

Oops - that is the peak value. For RMS, divide by 2. Both positive and negative rails supply that, but not at the same time. For purposes of efficiency calculations, do you add them together?

LTspice gives the peak values as 6,15kW into the 2 ohm load and 6,60kW for each rail supply. I calculate the efficiency as 47%. Am I getting this right?

Last edited:
pcb

sir, have you its pcb or layout.
Tekko is on to something. A quick look on Yahoogle turned up this beast for $450 + shipping.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Gemini XP-6000 Professional 6000W Amplifier

It is rated at 600Wpc into 8 ohm with 0.1% THD. That's a lot of power for the bucks.

Is it possible to beat this price in a DIY class B project?

You will need two 1000VA transformers:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And two (no, make that that four) 0.3K/W heat-sinks:

Lots of these:

And don't forget these little suckers:

By now we have blown the $450 and the shopping list is still quite long...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.