500w power amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Aha!! VR1 indeed!!

Thanks Guys, my apologies, missed it.

Yes, you are right. Lose VR1 and VAS goes almost to upper rail (assuming the VAS CCS still works OK).

This turns the speaker into eggs benedict......

Usual trick would be to guarantee some current always flows through the LTP by placing say a 220R resistor across the outer terminations of VR1. This ensures it remains Master of Ceremonies.......

Heinrich,

The AKSA is only as far away as my website!!

Ciao,

Hugh

Hi Mark, Why do I need 500W? Well, actually, I don't NEED 500W. Call me crazy, call me stupid, but I'm a believer in "head-room" I know that I am "wasting" these amps by using them as sub amps but moving air requires a lot of power. At the time I built these amps, I was working for a pro audio shop and repairing a lot of amps with many output transistors. I wanted a much better understanding about these amps so I found a project that suited my curiosity and desire to learn. I learned much during this project but I have so very much more to learn. :) I also wanted a very good sounding amp. Many commercial sub amps sound like ****, even with a good speaker/driver...The NEED for over 1000W of power is NOT there, however, I do not regret building or using these awesome amps. With respect, Otter

headroom it is!!!!!! just like any body else...I need some
SLAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMM!!!!!.....

Heinrich, The AKSA is only as far away as my website!!

Hugh,

someday, somehow I will have one.....
my pocket and and my beautiful partner just don't agree with me for the moment.......hehehehee!

juneray, naa paka diha bay?

bitaw, where you now.....me and we helps.....

longthrow's help maybe just one or two rides away....
duol ramo kaayo....diya

macweb

still same as here in my place.......

aaahhh yes, kuan,

there were feedbacks about the Zeta that were not that
positive.....
munang, bai,
if ever your thinking of it, go rather for Quasis
designs,
browse on his site.

Zeta was even deleted from website because of some
anomallies..
some were talking about oscillations...:hot:

Ole_Otter said:
Hi Mark,

Why do I need 500W? Well, actually, I don't NEED 500W. Call me crazy, call me stupid, but I'm a believer in "head-room" I know that I am "wasting" these amps by using them as sub amps

Fair enough for a sub - especially if you're using closed boxes below Fs. That's what I'm doing (with around 200W). And my mains are 83dB/W, so I'm driving them with around 150 watts. I'm not against power as such, but IME, once you get above 2-300W you're very much into the "diminishing returns" game, even with lots of cheaply acquired transformers/heatsinks/etc. An extra 3dB of headroom costs a lot more than twice the price! Not to mention thermal compression in the drive unit...

But I asked about the OP's (original poster) application. He's not come back yet...

Best regards,

Mark

Hey Mark,

Yeah, I got ya. Interesting insight you give. I'm driving with each amp, a single 12 in. shiva subwoofer in a 4 cuft box, with a 15 inch passive radiator and I can't remember how many grams of weight I have in them, but if I remember, it;s quite a bit. I wanted my FC to be around 40 HZ. I think I calculated 12.5. I removed some weight and I think they cut off at 28 or 35HZ. I built them in 1999 but I've slept a few times since. The Shiva subs are really nice drivers. I'm very impressed with the sound, and I'm pretty darned picky. ;-)

Otter

PS, I think the "OP" has left the building..... Although the dialog has been very interesting and fun, I think we may be beating a dead horse here... :dead

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.