load

manex 15" rated 500w 8ohms instrumental speaker 4/channel
crown CS400 400w tweeter 2/channel
passive crossover dividing network crown cn15 &/or cn2500 2/channel

trafo- 240v primary input
SiNGLE COATED magnetic wire used primary & secondary

mainline supply voltage
225vac - 230vac

1.5 x 5inches core area has a 1750volt ampere rating, next is your wire sizes, that will determine your current density...not all of this can be used, i'd say 1000watts is reasonable....so that you can 500watts available to each channel...

assuming an efficiency of say 65%, then you should have been running at only 325 watts per channel in order to avoid such accidents with the present traffo that you had....

it is amazing how end users can really fry their amps, if you knew the limits, you probably wouldn't have gone there....

if you really need to operate at sustained high levels, then you should install one of these incorporated into the protection circuit: http://www.cantherm.com/products/thermal_cutouts/index.html

Last edited:
i've checked amp today...
rectifier diodes are fine...
i tried connecting it to 3amp 24 0 24 trafo and amp is fine...

regards
ees...

the more you parallel speakers the more it demands power to your transformer and 2 Ohms will not necessarilliy will stay in that manner it will still go down below 1 ohms .your calculation of 20amps. that is suitable only for 8 ohms load it will go high as you calculate for 4 ohms.dont go below 4 ohms load when your set up is for public address.put 2 fuse before rectifier and the current of your transformer that will be the value of your fuse.

Last edited:
the more you parallel speakers the more it demands power to your transformer and 2 Ohms will not necessarilliy will stay in that manner it will still go down below 1 ohms .your calculation of 20amps. that is suitable only for 8 ohms load it will go high as you calculate for 4 ohms.dont go below 4 ohms load when your set up is for public address.put 2 fuse before rectifier and divide the current of your transformer and that will be the value of your fuse.

already took off trafo from amp...
will be rewind using heavy coated magnetic wire for both primary and secondary...
still will be rated 20amps...

next time amp will be loaded only 1 of these midtops /channel...

amp has survive 2ohms load but trafo did not...
still be using the same trafo specs...
but loading wont go any further than 4 ohms for trafo safety...

regards
ees...

Attachments

• 224252_211248162229987_100000344136721_666702_808288_n.jpg
    224252_211248162229987_100000344136721_666702_808288_n.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,464
Last edited:
yes thats for sure...no signs of burn in the circuit...
his amps are extreme...(just my two cents)

the reason you amps survived is because your transformer went kaput first, if it happened that you had a bigger traffo with bigger wire sizes, then it could have been different.....in any case something had to give....

provision for over-temps is a must imho....

hi hello sir eesbiboi good afternon nice try of the b500 of sir apex. what is your observation about this power amp, for me its great amp i want to build this sir.... can u share the nsl32 limiter of what u replace pls...

regards rompi

based on the past thread it can be replaced by a led .purpose of nsl 32 when diode lights up resistance value goes down and small signal will pass towards amplifier.it acts the same as the potentiometer but this one is automatic.if you replaced this one with led if it lights up turn the volume down.acts as a clipping indicator.

Speaker load is 8R only without crossover, for example with sub crossover 12dB/oct ( 6mH in series 100uF parallel with speaker) amplifier was loaded with about 3R(calculated ) and this load for mid-top with crossover is 4-5R.
In this case with 2 bas drivers per box and crossover load is 2-3R and with two box in parallel amp will be loaded with 1-1,5R (calculated for audio AC), but measured load for DC is 2R.
If you have pasive crossover for 200W subwoofer you need 500W power amplifier.

Last edited: