5-way active filtered living room set

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
start building sub cabs

Hello,

Started building the sub cabs. I know a bigger cab would be better but my living room is not that big.
plus now all the 4 cabs and the 2 amp racks and the effect rack will be the same size.

the bass tube will be made fully from wood and is 20cm in with.

in the miling machine

planks

oeps that t-nuts shouldn't be there :(
24mm wood +18mm ring

19'' racks

haha sorry for the t-nuts

Hope you have enjoy the posts :cool:

Recieved a few amps today from the USA :D
Altec 1593B and 1594B
monoblocks 50 and 100W
They all look like new!!
If your amplifiers and crossovers have been stored for a few years, you may want to Google-study suggested methods for safest power up. Some articles recommend putting an incandesent light bulb in series with the AC mains for current limiting, plus using a Variac to slowly bring up the voltage. The goal is to "re-form" the electrolitic capacitors and identify failed transistors with limited currents.

Do your own study with trusted sites.

I’d put in some black speaker cloth on the inside of the ports, makes it look nice and prevents the stuff from getting out.

Why did you not flare the big port of the lower cabinet? Also size wise it looks kind of short? What is the tuning?

They do look massively impressive though!

Hello, i mean smoother for the looks.
you are right it was meant to be 40-45 Hz tuning freq, the 23 was from another cab i did last.

the reason why is, i cant make the cabs any bigger and they are standing in the corner of a room that isn't that big.

if you guys have any suggestions how i can do it better please let me know :D

Does putting them in the corners not mean that you would tune then even lower? You will get less of a bass hump, and the extra room gain will help you at the low end. Even without room gain, you’ll get a 5db peak at 64Hz and nothing much below 35hz. You’ll need some serious EQ to get that flatted out. Quite frankly, you’d be better of which a closed box because below 40hz, you have better power handling. Even a lower tuning tuning will not help you out a lot, at 20hz tuning you will get a few dB better power handling, but it will mean a very long port and will probably not sound better.

There are obviously several easy ways to test all this out without the need to change the box. Simply keep the port closed to simulate a closed box, or stuff it tightly with damping material to simulate a lower tuning. You can even keep the damping in if you like the sound.

Last edited:
Does putting them in the corners not mean that you would tune then even lower? You will get less of a bass hump, and the extra room gain will help you at the low end. Even without room gain, you’ll get a 5db peak at 64Hz and nothing much below 35hz. You’ll need some serious EQ to get that flatted out. Quite frankly, you’d be better of which a closed box because below 40hz, you have better power handling. Even a lower tuning tuning will not help you out a lot, at 20hz tuning you will get a few dB better power handling, but it will mean a very long port and will probably not sound better.

There are obviously several easy ways to test all this out without the need to change the box. Simply keep the port closed to simulate a closed box, or stuff it tightly with damping material to simulate a lower tuning. You can even keep the damping in if you like the sound.

Hello, Thanks for advise i gonna try it! I will let you know what the difference is.

kind regards!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.