5 hz bass @ 125 db in room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you just want to experience it:
- Build an enclosure large enough to sit in, say 3 feet wide x 5 feet high x 6 feet long (90 cubic feet).
- Cut a hole in the end and screw on a single 15 inch driver, assuming xmax is at least 1/2 inch.
- Add a couple of small speakers to handle the rest of the frequency range.
- Climb in. Seal the door. Play your music.

I did this once, the level was almost unbearable with the volume barely off the pin.

Should we really be participating in assisted suicide? Here's an idea with that budget:

Maybe a huge Infinite Baffle array would be something you could look into? Maybe a couple dozen Fi IB318s. Build a wall around the inside of your room so that it has a 4 foot gap all the way around the edge and then mount 4 pairs of drivers in each wall. Stick a Behringer EP4000 on each pair and get ready to have an audio induced stroke.

With that budget though, I'd probably spend half of it on infrastructure. You're probably going to waste a lot of energy to building structure if the room wasn't designed to be able to contain that much energy.

Maybe an old nuclear bunker?

Reason for this question...I just want to experience it. Going to use it in a much larger room later for dubstep. Some songs like firepower by datsik actually drop that low. Was hoping there would be an easier way of doing it like a few pd 24inch drivers in a horn or something...

If this is just a desired experience there is a quite cheap way to do it, but your timing is most unfortunate...you missed the most recent window just 5 months ago and the next one is at least 4 years away although admittedly somewhat indefinite. Here's the plan:

• Buy yourself a round trip 1st Class ticket London to Orlando, FL ($4,000)
  • Rent a 1st class car for the week ($700)
  • Get the best hotel room in the area for a week ($1,200)
  • Donate to a Congressperson to get VIP Access ($10,000)
  • Use your newly bought influence to get within 4km of pad.
  • Watch the 1st launch of the next generation Space Transportation System w/o ear protection (sound level estimated as similar to Saturn V)

You get the experience, avoid reconstructing your home, and the bill totals under $16,000 excluding golf greens fees and Disney World tickets!;)

Ohhh...even cheaper - fly to the nearest country where automatic firearms are available (rental at US gun ranges is no problem) and allowed to be used. Get an M16A2 ($75 an hour + a few $100 for ammo depending on how much experience you want) equipped with softer mainspring reducing the cyclic rate of fire to 300 rounds per minute (5Hz). Each 30 round clip will give you 6 seconds at 5Hz. The peak SPL is reported to be 155dB at 4m so I would expect the average to be well above your 125dB target in an indoor range. Should get the job done for $5,000 including 1st class air & hotel. May need some bribe money so the range officer will let you shoot w/o ear protection!

If you just want to hear what it sounds like, get some headphones that are rated to 5Hz. Sony makes them and although I doubt they won't go much over 100dB--you can "hear" what it sounds like.

Would I want to play 5Hz at 125dB with headphones? I played the cannon shots once on 10Hz rated Audio Technicas back in the day--once. It didn't blow the phones but the 1812 Overture sure packed a kick.

I'd spend 1/10th of 1% of my budget and get some headphones to hear if you want to continue on your quest.

If you just want to hear what it sounds like, get some headphones that are rated to 5Hz. Sony makes them and although I doubt they won't go much over 100dB--you can "hear" what it sounds like.

Would I want to play 5Hz at 125dB with headphones? I played the cannon shots once on 10Hz rated Audio Technicas back in the day--once. It didn't blow the phones but the 1812 Overture sure packed a kick.

I'd spend 1/10th of 1% of my budget and get some headphones to hear if you want to continue on your quest.

i dont want to hear it i want to feel it..and listen to music on a system capable of playing it

There is one problem with playback under 15hz at 120db, you won't really feel it as much as you will be listening to the room shake and flex (flight response... run away, (Think Monty Python)) so unless you are willing to build a concrete bunker.... their are going to be problems other than building the speakers.

edit: oh yeah, it will also make you nauseous. My reference system is flat to 14Hz and it makes most people (me included) sick if tones under 20Hz are being reproduced at above 90db for more than just a blast in a movie, a sustained 16Hz messes with your inner ear.

Last edited:
Talking about sustain, I don't think you want to trap that kind of energy, not even within concrete bunkers! <10Hz will cause sustains within the concrete, so imo heavily damped flexing walls are a more practical solution (think of boomcars where most LF energy goes outside the car). That's besides the point these ultra LF wave have no room to develop in a concrete bunker (unless you buy a factory) to produce a 'clean' signal....

Regarding the "brown note". I don't think Mythbusters test was reasonable since they did it in free air with subs which must have had negligible response down that low. Is anyone aware of a more credible test (published, or Youtubed)?

I'm friends with the old farts at JBL and they told me a story of the military testing a semi trailer sub intended to disperse crowds. It didn't work as intended, but it scared the heck out of the recrutes and some of them shat themselves, (involuntary fear response) this could be the origin of the Brown note myth.
If I remember the story correctly the tone was 16Hz,18hz and 21hz and sounded like a very loud bear growl. Actually when I saw the Matterhorn it reminded me of the story they told some 20 years ago.

Last edited:
There is one problem with playback under 15hz at 120db, you won't really feel it as much as you will be listening to the room shake and flex (flight response... run away, (Think Monty Python)) so unless you are willing to build a concrete bunker.... their are going to be problems other than building the speakers.

edit: oh yeah, it will also make you nauseous. My reference system is flat to 14Hz and it makes most people (me included) sick if tones under 20Hz are being reproduced at above 90db for more than just a blast in a movie, a sustained 16Hz messes with your inner ear.
There are restaurants that I have found the pipe resonance from the air handling system in the 10-20 Hz range makes dining distinctly unpleasant.

I'd guess a sustained tone of as little as 80 dB down low is all it takes for me to get a feeling of unease.

I definitely did not want to hang out in my shop when I used an 11 Hz tone to break in my BCSW115-4 speakers, and they were not in a box!

... so there can be no bass inside a subwoofer enclosure because its dimensions are far too small to allow the "waves to develop", right?
Hi Don, those are two different things. In your example one side/wall contains the sound source (cone) that radiates part of its energy into the outside world. Sound bunkers however, suppose to be non absorbing/transmitting sound (till a certain degree). This means the sound is 100% trapped inside the bunker or in other words the sound is reflected by the interior walls. Therefore a sound bunker is acoustically dead below its fundamental.

In case we would build our listening environment with full flexible walls (but heavily damped to prevent it from making other noises), soundwaves larger as the fundamental of the room, would be absorbed and transmitted by the flexible walls. In that case the walls would act similar like the metal housing of a boomcar. The sound waves below the fundamental of the acoustical environment can physically exist as they don’t 'see' the flexing walls as a huge resistance.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.