5.1 decoder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
it is much simplier to decode from a 2channel analog source. What they do is have a rear channel put on to the 2 channels in a way thats not audible and there some other parts of the signal that are there for the center speaker.

Basically when the signal has these requirements and some sort of difference or alikeness to it a Dolby pro logic decoder is able to decode a center and rear channel from the signals. The subwoofer channel is just simple a low pass filter from the signal.

Well thats the jist of it...i dont know to much more than that about it.

From a Coax digital you can have a lot of channels of sound. You can still have the signal be dolby pro logic...which is often seen on lower budgest DVDs or in bonus materials. Or they can send five channels of sound plus 1 channel of low audio frequencies for the sub. This gives the sound people for the movie more options. If a plane is comming from behind the listner and from the left, they can send audio to the left rear speaker and a rumble to the sub. As the plane comes toward being on screen the front speakers will pick up more the sound. Giving a more realistic experience...and better sound quality.

i dont know if anyone is still interested in something like this, but i found a cheap alternative for us US-based guys here . i plan on ripping this thing outta its nice little plastic home, throwing it in with one ESP's preamp setups, and having an inexpesive 5.1-enabled preamp. anyone's thoughts?

i know nothing about them, and unfortunately, lost the auction i was going for. i do know they were some-what setup for pc (1/8" stereo jacks for in's and out's instead of rca's), but thats about all i read about them. i'm just looking for something cheap to throw into a preamp so i can have 5.1. guess i gotta keep looking....

Hello guys,

Right now, I'm beginning the hardware design of the STA310 section of my multistandard decoder. It uses the STA310 of course, in a TQFP80 package, with a uPSD33xx 8051 microcontroller from ST as well. I have the uPSD33xx dev kit and 4 STA310's. The input will be coax and toslink S/PDIF, as well as two i2s inputs. It will be controlled via i2c with the microcontroller. I will use a 20x2 PLED display and buttons for a menu and control, and possibly an i2c EEPROM for storing configuration. The output of the STA310 will be connected to 4 CS43122 DACs because it has 4 PCM outputs. Each DAC will have a line driver. I'm borrowing jwb's design for the DAC and audio output. It will be driven by 2.5, 3.3, and 5V digital supplies and a 5V analog supply. I will need help in coding the software. When the hardware design is done, I will post the schematic, and I need people who know about coding in asm or c to help me out with the software part of the design. The software part will be the most difficult part for me. Just thought I'd give you guys an update.

Hi emuman100,

I worked as an engineer in a hifi society named Atoll electronique.
I have developed sucessfully a Dolby digital, Prologic II, DTS, Mpeg, PCM decoder based on CS 49 3264(DSP) + CS8414(DIR) + PIC16F648A(uC) + PCM1606(6ch CNA) + PCM1802(2ch CAN). This decoder is part of the new preamplifier PR5.1.
Your project looks very nice.
Can I help you ?
Where can I find the STA310 in France ?
I'm skilled in PIC programming, so I will be more efficient in developing a board with this uC, using C or ASM language.

Neteagle

Attachments

• carte dsp.png
    carte dsp.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 669
Neteagle,

Wow! I'm quite impressed. Is this PCB sold as a kit or something? If so, I'd love to build it.

The STA310 is sold in the US at most distributers with a 540 piece minimum, costing around $9000. AVNET electronics sells them in the US individually for $18 a piece, in quantities of 1 or more. The best thing to do would be to contact your local ST Micro office (go to their site for info) and get a distributer from them. That's what I did. The hardest part will be the software. It's controlled via i2c, so a PIC with i2c will be needed. A PIC would be perfect for this application, I just don't know how to program one. :p If you give me a suggestion, I'll do my best to do a hardware design with it and post the schematic here.

I looked at your companies web site and I was QUITE impressed. I'm interested in the FM tuner and the surround sound decoder.

I have made this PCB and all the PIC software, so that's not a kit. By the way, this board have passed the DTS and Dolby requirements. This board is also copyrighted at ATOLL ELECTRONIQUE. The Cirrus DSP CS 49326 requires an external memory to work, with some Cirrus Code inside (DTS, DD, Prologic, Mpeg, THX), that are only delivered with a Dolby and DTS license. As our company is little, Cirrus don't want to send us the THX, Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES code...and since th 911, they requiered us to sign a contract avoiding us to ressell to "terorist countries" !

For your project, it will be easier because the DIR is include in the STA310, and there no need of an external memory.
The PIC are quite simple to program, and a JDM programer is enough to begin.
Here is a link to a simple programmer:

http://www.olimex.com/dev/images/pic-pg1-sch.gif

I sugest the PIC 16F648A to control the STA310. It's a 18 DIP uC, running up to 4 MHz@3,0V (supply necesary for the I2C comunication). An ICSP connector is also needed to program the uC onboard.
Now two different boards, one for the STA310 and the PIC16F648A, and one for the DAC would be nice.

I will begin a simple hardware design on Eagle.
I have contacted the ST reseller in France, I wish I could get some samples of the STA310.

@+

Neteagle

Neteagle,

Wonderful! Thing is, the datasheet for the STA310 says nothing about the S/PDIF input electrical connections and audio PLL filter. This information is needed, of course. I don't want to use a sample rate converter like the CS8420, I want to use the S/PDIF input, like you said, but there is no information on it except pinouts in the datasheet. I contacted ST Micro about this, and hope they can provide me errata. There is an S/PDIF filter pin, and since there is no info in the datasheet, I have no idea what to do with it.

The eagle PCB you are doing, is it just for the PIC or for the STA310? What I want to do is do a STA310 design on perfboard and connect everything to the PIC with wire. A 3.3V pic is perfect with i2c. It'll have DACs and possibly a seperate PCB for the power supply.

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.