5.1 Audio for an HTPC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey folks,

Apologies if this has been asked before. I've spent 5 hours googling, and spent an additional 20 minutes on here searching around.

I just built an HTPC from some old parts I had laying around. Currently Ubuntu 32-bit is on there, but I'm probably going to toss 64-bit linux mint on there.

Mobo is an Epox 9NPA+Ultra - it has S/PDIF and also 6-channel analog outputs on-board. CPU is an old AMD 64 X2 4800+.

I'm doing video output through an old nVidia 7950GT - DVI to HDMI to a 42" Toshiba LCD-TV.

I am FAR from an audiophile. I'll be honest, I know next to nothing about sound hardware. Sound quality is not super high on the list for me, as well. I generally prefer that it work fast and efficient before I go for graphics and sound. As of right now the PC performance is good.

I'd like to output the sound from my 6-channel analog on-board audio card to an older surround sound system I have (came as part of a cheap DVD + 5.1 surround). The audio quality of this set is acceptable until I can afford a higher quality set.

Would this work? What type of adapters would I need to go from the PC to the RCA inputs on the sub? My budget is rather low, so I'm trying to work with what I have without buying much else.

Thank you for any assistance!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.