• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

4P1L DHT Line Stage

My questions had nothing to do with design, I was asking for a generalized subjective opinion about tube sound.

A few of us DID give you our opinions about tube sound. This didn't seem to go anywhere because you just disagreed and substituted your own opinions. The way to learn is to ask more questions and carefully consider the responses. Then ask more questions. It's iterative.

Guess who is getting some of Ale's Gyrator boards?????????????????????????

<-----------------Yup this guy right here :)

So yeah I am pretty stoked.

I haven't assembled Rod's regulator boards yet and I am still trying to figure out what I am going to use for a VAS. The VAS can be wimpy as I am going to use Pete's A2 Mosfet driver boards. I will go though my tubes and make a list, do some rough calculations and simulations, then move on to breadboarding. Off the top of my head I have lots of 6N3, 6SN7's, 6AU6A's, 5670's, and 12AX7's. I have some 5751's, 12AY7, 6072, and 12AT7'S. I have two Western Electric 396a's that I have been dying to try, if I go that route I think I can sub in 5670 and 6N3.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I am going to use for a VAS.

My rule of the thumb:
Going backward.
- Required swing;
- is A2 required?
- is CF or source follower required?
- VAS "R loaded", choke loeded or active loaded? This choice determinates B+ voltage;
- choose correct B+ voltage: if you use active load, B+ must be at least 50V greater than swing upper peak;

The VAS can be wimpy
- use enough large anode current of moderate output impedance VAS device, or must be using low output impedance follower;
- anode swing, anode current and headroom define tube type;

Bias for 4P1L will be ~18-20v. And since I am going A2 then the grids need to go positive. By how much? I have no idea. I am guessing I want a gain of around 30.

There will be a follower between the VAS and the 4P1L's.

The VAS will be actively loaded by a gyrator.

B+ is roughly 250. So if I set the VAS anode to 150 there should be plenty of headroom.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
And since I am going A2 then the grids need to go positive. By how much? I have no idea.
As you can see in datasheet even +12..16V is in the "working" area (with grooving distortion).

Attached an example:
15V peek grid voltage is the A1 border, 26V (deep in A2) is below clipping.

Attachments

• 6SN7, cGyrator, 4P1L PSE, 5k_8.jpg
    6SN7, cGyrator, 4P1L PSE, 5k_8.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 567
Bias for 4P1L will be ~18-20v. And since I am going A2 then the grids need to go positive. By how much? I have no idea. I am guessing I want a gain of around 30.

Here are the curves I traced with A2:
4P1L-triode-test-4-SPICE-model-web.png

And here is the grid current:
4P1L-triode-4-grid-model-web.png

With a 3K2 loadline you wouldn't need higher than 20-25V. A source follower or cathode follower would be required to provide the grid current without distortion with DC coupling to the grid.

I posted earlier a design or you could look at Anatoliy's A2 design with cathode follower.

A simple SF with a bipolar 50V will do the job very well.

If I get the time I will retrace the 4P1L in A2 with the eTracer which is better fit for this job than the uTracer I believe.

The spice model is in my blog somewhere if you want to play with the circuit and simulate the response.
Cheers
Ale

I am trying to get all my parts together so when Ale's boards arrive I can start assembly. I want to be listening to 4P1L's ASAP.

So will 4.4VA be enough for my bias and negative rail?

I am trying to picture where the DC will flow with two rails. So I set the A2 board for 10mA each device for a total of 20mA. This 20mA current is flowing through both supplies correct? So from my large power transformer I can add 20mA to the total load and also add it to the negative supply transformer rail. This leaves me with 80mA left for grid current during transients and whatever small amount of current the bias resistors will carry. I am also trying to calculate ripple for my bias supply and need to know the currents for filtering. I think I will add a small choke for an LCRC bias supply, I want the grids to be dead quiet.

So I don't need to order a larger transformer for bias and negative rail?

Last edited: