47 labs Hotei speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
dmason said:
47 Labs likely does not enjoy the economies of scale required to produce a wildly exotic driver concomittant to the asking price, either directly or indirectly..... Of course I could be totally wrong.

Note that Ciare also has a healthy OEM business. Its quite possible that 47 Labs putzed around with a ph250 (or even a ch250) and contacted Ciare for their own version and slapped on a white dampening compound.

Also looking back at 47 Labs past efforts (in particular the GainCard), use of the ph250 is certainly in-keeping with there "research and development efforts" (heavy sarcasm here).

But as to if it actually is the ph250? - its all speculation (but fun!).

I did notice the Ciare OEM angle: The plot sickens; the price of admission makes it an easy decision to investigate for fun. 85EU with the additional magnet. -Maybe they changed the ribbing pattern to throw Thorsten off....... I will name it the BAB Speaker: Big Assed Bicone model. It could be interesting, with my ClariT TA2024 batTery amp.

They should be here in twelve working days.

dmason said:
I did notice the Ciare OEM angle: The plot sickens; the price of admission makes it an easy decision to investigate for fun. 85EU with the additional magnet. -Maybe they changed the ribbing pattern to throw Thorsten off....... I will name it the BAB Speaker: Big Assed Bicone model. It could be interesting, with my ClariT TA2024 batTery amp.

They should be here in twelve working days.

Hmmm, funny you mentioning the ClariT! While you have ordered the "speaker", I've ordered the "amp". Sonic T-Amp, 12 volt battery with charger, 4 pole 24 position switch, enough resistors for the switch in a ladder config., etc.. (Of course I went the FE 166ESR route for the speaker..

Ciare or not?

Note that Ciare also has a healthy OEM business. Its quite possible that 47 Labs putzed around with a ph250 (or even a ch250) and contacted Ciare for their own version and slapped on a white dampening compound.

Didn't anybody notice that the 47Labs ad speaks of a polymer cone used in that particular driver....?
The Ciare's definitely have no polymer cone.....and second: a 9" cone translates into 230mm in the metric system.....the Ciare is 250mm .

Re: Ciare or not?

Stixx said:

Didn't anybody notice that the 47Labs ad speaks of a polymer cone used in that particular driver....?
The Ciare's definitely have no polymer cone.....and second: a 9" cone translates into 230mm in the metric system.....the Ciare is 250mm .

I guess you missed reading my first few posts, (size and poly coating)..

note that overall diameter and cone diameter are different. For example, my Fostex FE 166ES-R is listed as a 6.5 inch driver, in truth though the actual cone diameter is closer to 5 inches.

Take two steps back and see that in such a tight niche, Ciare is about the only outfit capable of providing OEM product. As Scott mentions, diameter is a many splendoured thing.

I would bet five bucks the unit IS from Ciare, based on assessment of manufacturers. Ciare. OEM. And pretty upfront about it.

Either way, I will enjoy my time with the 250's when they come. They are apparently becoming a hit with German tube-twinks.

Konnichiwa,

dmason said:
Take two steps back and see that in such a tight niche, Ciare is about the only outfit capable of providing OEM product.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING.

What about Eminence, Foster/Fostex and about 2 Dozend Far Eastern Outfits?

By all means hype up Ciare, but stick to facts.

Sayonara

Domo Toranaga. Sama.

Eminence I seriously doubt would take the time out to depart from their usual fare. I have been thru their plant and this is NOT their forte. Fostex doesn't have an OEM division, -that I know of. And I have looked, though some time ago, and have since learned they manufacture now in Taiwan, or to China, from Taiwan.

Konichiwa, Toranaga. Sama.

That is good to know, thanks. I will reflect on it while I build the "H" frame baffles for the Ciares, and be happy as Hotei. I also have some ideas on polymer based damping compounds.

Here is a thought: a DIYaudio concensus-driven driver design, backed up by a group order, to be provided by Foster. Any merit to an idea like that one?

Konnichiwa,

dmason said:
Eminence I seriously doubt would take the time out to depart from their usual fare. I have been thru their plant and this is NOT their forte.

Yet they make the wideband drivers used in the Bastanis Prometheus and the "Hammer Dynamics" Super 12. Plus a very interesting looking 10" ribbed cone whizzered driver....

dmason said:
Fostex doesn't have an OEM division, -that I know of.

Correct, Fostex is the "ownbrand" of Foster, who are a massive OEM.

Sayonara

Yup, Foster is the largest OEM (speaker manufac.) in the world.

And Emenince does provide OEM, in a variety of cones - however they don't seem capable of manufacturing a large diameter speaker capable of an extended (relativly flat on axis) output up beyond 10kHz (and even then 10kHz is rather optimistic). Case in point is the Hammer dynamics driver which I believe starts having a reduced output around 7kHz (but usable to 10kHz). Another example is found in their standard guitar speaker (Legend B102), as you can see the freq. response just doesn't cut "fullrange" use.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Variac said:
I have researched Eminence, and if you order a mere 100 speakers, they will do a custom run. I think they even throw in some design consulting.

Probably they only select from the parts that they have in stock, but they have LOTs of options...

thats how the Adire (Avatar at the time) Shiva happened... we got the blow-by-blow on the BassList... i got 8 Shivas from the group buy.

dave

....and the rest, as they say, is history.

I personally think that a concensus-driven speaker design whose paramaters were gleaned from this forum's audience, might present something of a rare opportunity. Fostex apparently gives its customers what they want...

Within Eminence's resources, I would think a potentially superb wide ranger might be hatched.

Konnichiwa,

ScottG said:
And Emenince does provide OEM, in a variety of cones - however they don't seem capable of manufacturing a large diameter speaker capable of an extended (relativly flat on axis) output up beyond 10kHz (and even then 10kHz is rather optimistic). Case in point is the Hammer dynamics driver which I believe starts having a reduced output around 7kHz (but usable to 10kHz). Another example is found in their standard guitar speaker (Legend B102), as you can see the freq. response just doesn't cut "fullrange" use.

Well, if you use "fullrange and ribbon tweeter" and you use a slow rolloff slope on the ribbon (1st Order) I could see the Eminence 10" Driver (legend B102) make a good figure:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Equally, Eminence has made so many different drivers of the decades, they have some pretty good competitiors to the 12" Celestion Dual Cone Driver (not in current production I'll admit) which in turn is just fine as vocal cab with a ring radiator supertweeter cut in at around 8 - 10KHz (3rd order to PA Boxes to avoid them blowing up).

At any extent, there are many variations and possibilities. Once you include the larger far eastern OEM's they become endless. A 10" or 12" Wideband driver plus Ribbon Tweeter System with a 1st order HF Crossover is easy to do. The Bastanis Prometheus is an illustration.

Sayonara

Kuei Yang Wang said:
Well, if you use "fullrange and ribbon tweeter" and you use a slow rolloff slope on the ribbon (1st Order) I could see the Eminence 10" Driver (legend B102) make a good figure:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

True, (and it may be better in that config. than 47 Labs's offering) - but I don't think it quite meets the 1st order (or even near) 1st order slope of the highpass on the ribbon for the 47 Labs speakers.

In particular the Legend B102 could have an eq. filter between 400-3kHz, provide a natural baffle-step "bump" (allowing a narrow baffle), and have a quasi-1st order point at about 9kHz.

For others:

As for a Foster OEM run for DIY'ers, I don't think so. Unlike Eminence, Ciare, and a few others - Foster dosn't think in production runs of 100. Even a run of 1000 drivers would be pretty small for them.

Though I'm not "sold" on Ciare in particular they do appear the better alternative to a DIY'er run for the following reasons:
1. lower production run (I think)
2. capable of providing fullrange relativly non-inductive VC's with fairly flat impeadance loads.
3. Good frames
4. Moderate mass cones for a given sd.
5. Very good magnets.

In particular look the "home" HX132:

http://www.ciare.com/pdf/catalogo/HX132.pdf

I'm wondering what this would be like when properly configured with the magnet on the OEM 6.38 nd MR (with a 1.75 gauss):

http://www.ciare.com/oem/index.html

(of course the real question then is would such a ******* be better than a fostex FE126E?)

I believe the Prometheus uses the off the shelf Eminence Delta Lite 12. Bastanis then treats the cone with a special oil based composite. The slot tweeter is stock Beyma. I heard these in Denver in the fall and they were a force to be reckoned with.

Highly recommended kit speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.