• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

45 Tube amp project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
slowmotion said:
" I confess to having impure thoughts though; I've been looking at an 813 verion of the Outerlimit, a parafeed . Oh, the shame of it all. "

Tell us more?

cheers

I've been looking at the Outerlimit a sort of Sakuma cross parafeed SE amp. I admire Benny and Stephane's mondo gonzo approach to building amplifiers, and I think a trioded 813 could do very well in a similar output configuration. I already have the OPTs, and can source some 150H/150mA C core platechokes, so I thought it might be interesting to try. The platechokes aren't cheap, and I don't know if parafeed will be any better sounding than the SETs I've heard in the past (which I didn't like). If I could borrow the chokes for a couple of weeks, it'd be perfect, but unfortunately I have to buy them, and I have no idea whether I'll like it, and the chokes aren't much use otherwise. So, I'm stuck with it as a thought project at the moment.

Thinking for topology so far was,
12B4A resistive or CCS loaded, RC coupled to a 12E1/KT88/807 (trioded) CCS loaded via parafeed IT to 813 trioded running about 900V/110mA into a 6k or 11k5 OPT.
Alternative drivers might be an EL84 pentode, or a 6C45 resistive or CCS loaded, parafeed IT to the 813.
Designs are chosen for what I have on hand.

I'd leave space for the filament supply and jumbo socket for an 813/845 driver later.
Power would be around 25W.

Very 'blue sky' at the moment, especially as I like my 813PP so much.

I might start a new thread on parafeeds.

...fun time in the toys house...

Hi Brett,

My wife vetoed the horns - she really didn't the look at all! The Quasars will be in a room similar to yours - 18m*12m*3m - no vaulted ceiling though. They are 98dB/1W/1m and like being away from the walls. Given the open sound nature of open bafles I have high hopes for them...

Your 813 parafeed sounds interesting - start the thread - I've got a tin hat out now...

ciao

Jmaes

Re: ...fun time in the toys house...

James D. said:
Hi Brett,

My wife vetoed the horns

That's grounds for divorce around here. :) Oh, that's right I'm not married.....

Your 813 parafeed sounds interesting - start the thread -

I will in a minute.

I've got a tin hat out now...

ciao

Jmaes

I have an aluminium foil deflector beanie. It stops the aliens controlling my mind.
It's DIY, so you can make one too.

siu sin man tho said:
hi,

very sorry what is the meaning of tin hat.
I don't understand is it related to the horn.........

thanks
thomas

Hi Thomas,

I think James meant 'tin hat' to mean 'army helmet' because he had a controversial view and was protecting himself from the rocks of argument he expected people to throw at him.

Of course, I was just trying to be funny.

Cheers

Hi Thomas,

Brett's explaination is correct.

In Brett's parafeed thread I have been rude about parafeed and I anticipated some rude remarks coming my way. Parafeed seems to provoke fierce debate on most forums - but not here. In fact my rude remarks have been ignored and that shows how mature most of the members here are... or more likely how silly my remarks were:eek:

ciao

James

hi james,

P.S this is not promotion!!!!!!!!!!

recently I use japan 4N copper to raw the red copper terminal/
Do U feel good. Pls give me some advise.

thnaks

Thomas

Attachments

• tango's 078.jpg
    tango's 078.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 852
to the planet.

this is the wooden chassis that i use vintage eastern craft with piano finish to make it. Do U feel good.

P.S. This is not for promotion, only for sample & want to get advise.
I hope I use heart of diyer to make diy product will good to diyer.

thanks

Thomas

Attachments

• tango's 088.jpg
    tango's 088.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 875
...Cardbaoard Quasar...

Hi Brett,

Latest on my Quasars is that I have the speaker units and knocked up a cardboard baffle for them...very sophisticated!!!

They sound fantastic! Very open and dynamic and so, so natural. I'm driving them with my ECL82SE amp in triode mode (1.6W!!!) This is better than my WAD 2A3PSE .

My 6B4G pp was 'off the road' last night as I blew up the psu...

ciao

James
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Re: ...Cardbaoard Quasar...

James D. said:
Hi Brett,

Latest on my Quasars is that I have the speaker units and knocked up a cardboard baffle for them...very sophisticated!!!

They sound fantastic! Very open and dynamic and so, so natural. I'm driving them with my ECL82SE amp in triode mode (1.6W!!!) This is better than my WAD 2A3PSE .

James, to make Lowther-esqe speakers sound much better, you should place lots of duct tape directly <i>over</i> the driver. :)

Seriously though, congrats on what you have so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they progress and your results etc.
I'm still going to try to hear an Oris system soon.

My 6B4G pp was 'off the road' last night as I blew up the psu...

Tsk, tsk. Of course, <i>I've</i> never done that. :)

I've looked back, but can't see a reference to what the LF driver in the Quasar is. Could you enlighten me please?

ciao

...Super duper vox...

Brett,

The bass driver is a Supervox 285 GMF. Supervox 285 GMF

It's there as a 'helper' to counteract the baffle roll off and the combination works well down to around 40Hz...

The psu blow up was typical of 'more haste less speed' - but it gives me the chance to replace the electrolytics with polyprops. I have a couple of 330uF 1000V Siemans polyprops that are cylinders 5 inches across and 10" long :) :) :) Wait till I post pictures of these babys...

ciao

James

hi,
the Hammond 125ESE also good. But USD 200 had another choose,

I can offer james JS 6123hs also USd 200 per pair.
U will had two colour to choice & primary had 2.5K,3.5K & 5K
good for this tubes for SE.
300B, 2A3, 6B4G, PX4, PX25, VT52, KT66, KT88, EL34.....

james spec.The frequency respond is: 15Hz-70Hz -2db. The dimension is: H/W/L 110mm/80mm/90mm. The finished in beautiful Champaign silver or Black colour up to your choice. This is one of prefect transformer for all your 2A3, 300B and 45 single ended amp designs. James has been designing and manufacturing transformers for the past 30 years. They mainly manufacture transformers for Japanese high end audio market. Hino Audio and Air Tight Audio in Japan have been using their transformers in their amps.

pls see the photo.

thanks

Thomas

www.diyaudiocraft.com

Attachments

• tango's 075.jpg
    tango's 075.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 757
hi james D & brett,

this is the another item i prepare to use in the 45/2a3 kit.
Do U feel good?
dO u advise me use telfon cable OR CLOTH WIRE.

Pls see the photo, the red & blue telfon tube is prepare to the easy easy to seperate the high volt use red colour telfon tube.
& Ground use Blue colour telfon tube.

I also prepare use the telfon 6N rectangle solid core to the deluxe kit with 1mm 4N pure silver rob for ground use to low the noise ( opinional)

I think use better item in DIY project but reasonable money can enjoy much diy interest.

thanks

Thomas

Attachments

• new photo for web use 003.jpg
    new photo for web use 003.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 670
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.