• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

40 yrs old philips ag9016 se flea-power ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Modification

Hello Jean Paul,

Thanks.
That's quite a modification!:bigeyes: Loose everything except the powertrafo, outputtrafos and tubes.....correct ?
Could all be put in a very small housing, hardwired and looks quite incomplicated.
You have any idea of the soundquality compared to the original amp? (not mentioned in the articles ?)
Probably best to find an ag9016 in a not so good condition to get the major parts (which should not be a problem - I see them advertised everywhere at the moment). I feel mine is a bit too good to mess up.

Re: partslist
Could you please give me the value of R9 (very hard to read)

Jean Paul, although this mod is a bit bigger than I expected, I probably will get the parts and build me this little amp (looks easy enough for a newbie...)
:nod:

Any additional info is always welcome........

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I feel mine is a bit too good to mess up.

On the contrary, when you modify it it'll be a lot better than it was before. This was the second time the author revised the AG9016. Especially the output stage was changed. You can follow this schematic blindly. It'll fit perfectly in the original case. If you have a piece of aluminum sheet cutted you can cover the holes of the potentiometers for tone control and it'll look good then too. You can also cut a piece of aluminum and mount it instead of the original PCB. Tube sockets can be mounted on this chassis then and the whole thing can be hardwired. You won't regret it.

The author warned for "lifting" the filament voltage with respect to ground. He did that in the first revision because it should be better technically. Unfortunately the EL95's live short when you lift the voltage. He advised to share the input tubes between left and right channel and to lift the filament voltage of the upper tube. You probably need an extra separate 6.3 V supply to do that. He also got rid of the feedback resistor after several listening and measuring tests. He gave the following results and hoped one could keep dry eyes after seeing them ;) He explicitly pointed out that the measurements did not correlate to the listening experience with this amp. The 170 Hz -3 dB point was not heard when driving real world loudspeakers.

A = 30 dB
max. Uo on 8 Ohm = about 4 V eff ( about 2 W )
-3 dB point HF = 50 kHz
-3 dB point LF = 170 Hz
Ro = about 4 Ohm
THD at 0.5 W = 2.5 %

R9 is 1k as Frank pointed out. I scanned the drawings a few times with different resolutions but I couldn't get them any better.

Regards,

Jean-Paul

Hi,

Jean Paul,

I am already gathering the major parts (ie get a second ag9016....). Will probably make a new housing for the amp though- wood and aluminium, to match my modified/tweaked thorens tt.

Frank,

Please feel free to chip in.
Quod est demomstrandum....... ;)
Can this be lifted to even higher level using the same basic parts ? Looking forward to 3 beta.
Alea jacta est..........

For 'speakkies': i am thinking of making my own high(er) efficiency speakers (back-or frontloaded horns, single driver, Buschhorn MK2, Voightpipe, open baffle, line array ?) <My first idea was to go for the Buschhorn MK2 with Fostex 103 or 108. Any thoughts or experience with those ? (better alternatives ?)

Greetz
Peng

Philips AG 9016

Recently I purchased a Philips AG 9016 in almost mint condition.
I was lucky to find in the local store 2 IEF connectors, so no change at the input side.
Although it plays very well, I disconnected the loudness, C4 an C 34 which made it much brighter!
I wonder if I could disconnect C13 and C43 without causing any problems. It seems that it might make it more "open" brighter.
I would be greatfull if anyone could help me.

Thanks,
Emiel

I bought AG-9016 last week, when I listen it with ordinary cd player, oh my god, I really surprised with this little AMP!!! One question, I want to drive matching speakers with this AMP. but couldn't find the matched one,
I tryed old Philips 4ohm speakers (I dont know the model but they are in plastic box with stands,2 way and writes at the left corner Hi-Fidelity),vocals good, tweeting good,bass so so and when I inreased the volume, Vocals starts to sound like shaking !!! Not distortion, the sound of vocal shaking, I don't know why !!!

I also try 8 ohm 90's Sony Midi Music system's speakers,3 way I think, very nice bass, poor Treble, poor vocals !!!

And I even knew that it would be big spakers for this AMP but I drive cs-585 pioneer 60W but ofcourse it is poor !!!

So could you pls advice me the good speakers which matches with this AMP. ??? or to make any easy DIY speakers !!! I thought that to use 8 OHM speakers better to use than 4 OHM speakers with this AMP. bcs of low output 2 W, am I right ?

Thanks Thanks Thanks !!!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I bought AG-9016 last week, when I listen it with ordinary cd player, oh my god, I really surprised with this little AMP!!! One question, I want to drive matching speakers with this AMP. but couldn't find the matched one,
I tryed old Philips 4ohm speakers (I dont know the model but they are in plastic box with stands,2 way and writes at the left corner Hi-Fidelity),vocals good, tweeting good,bass so so and when I inreased the volume, Vocals starts to sound like shaking !!! Not distortion, the sound of vocal shaking, I don't know why !!!

I also try 8 ohm 90's Sony Midi Music system's speakers,3 way I think, very nice bass, poor Treble, poor vocals !!!

And I even knew that it would be big spakers for this AMP but I drive cs-585 pioneer 60W but ofcourse it is poor !!!

So could you pls advice me the good speakers which matches with this AMP. ??? or to make any easy DIY speakers !!! I thought that to use 8 OHM speakers better to use than 4 OHM speakers with this AMP. bcs of low output 2 W, am I right ?

Thanks Thanks Thanks !!!

There are basically two ways to connect this amp to a set of speakers: either through the electrolytic coupling cap or through the output xformer.
That is, if it's the one I have in mind with the EL86 output valves.

In both cases it should be much more at ease with high impedance LSs than with low impedance ones.
IIRC the original matching Philips speaker were rated at 60 Ohm nominal impedance. As I said, from memory so check the facts.

Cheers, ;)

<<There are basically two ways to connect this amp to a set of speakers: either through the electrolytic coupling cap or through the output xformer.
That is, if it's the one I have in mind with the EL86 output valves.>>

No, that's the AG9015 ... Quite a different amp.

I made a new back panel for my Philips AG_9016 with new RCA inputs for tape,radio and turntable inputs and add up new binding posts for speaker outs !!!

And today I plan to Soldering the cables from orjinal cables to my new connectors !!! The problem is, I am not %100 sure abt these outputs which is left+ / right+ and left- / right - !!! I am sending you a photo about the back panel and make drawing at inputs, can you help me about the correct connections ???

As you can see, at this strange connector at PHONO stage, I found that input 1-3-5 are ground but which is for left ground-right ground and stereo ? I found that NO.2 is LEFT+ and NO:4 for Right+ !!!
And this tape connector, I already input my CD player, no:1 LEFT +, NO:2 Right + and NO:3 Ground and use this Ground for both LEFT and RIGHT - channels !!! Did I make correct ?
Here is the photo :
Yfrog - philipsag9016achter800
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7656/philipsag9016achter800.jpg
I will be so happy if you can help me, thank you very much

Cenk

Instead of trying to figure out the old connectors, i propose the following:

Remove all old connectors together with the resistors on the tape connector.
The mono/stereo switch can also go.
This leaves you with just the shielded wires to the input connector.
Remove also the shielded cable for tape-out. You probably do not need it.

Now you have 6 shielded wires left.
Connect the speakers and touch the center of the input wires with your fingers to identify which one is for each position of input selector and left/right.

Be careful with your soldering iron when you re-connect the wires. The insulation is easily melted.

A nice little amp if you have suitable speakers.

Svein

Instead of trying to figure out the old connectors, i propose the following:

Remove all old connectors together with the resistors on the tape connector.
The mono/stereo switch can also go.
This leaves you with just the shielded wires to the input connector.
Remove also the shielded cable for tape-out. You probably do not need it.

Now you have 6 shielded wires left.
Connect the speakers and touch the center of the input wires with your fingers to identify which one is for each position of input selector and left/right.

Be careful with your soldering iron when you re-connect the wires. The insulation is easily melted.

A nice little amp if you have suitable speakers.

Svein

Thanks for your help Svein, do you have any recommendation about the suitable speakers with this amp. ??? It is the another problem also for me !!!

Hi, did you see the schematics of a modified version of AG9016 ? Post 19/20.

Yes I saw it, but I am not prof. at electronics and shematics !!! By the way, my goal is to use this amp. as original I just want to change the old stuff connectors to actual ones !!!
Anyway I already noted your shematic and part list to make it new AMP. by my self, I think it is better to make new i/o modified this AMP. bcs it is already classic and couple of years later they will be too much valuable !!!

I would not recommend the modified schematic published by audio&techniek in post #19/20.
Pentode operation without any feedback is usually not a good idea.

As for speakers, some vintage from Philips and others are often 4 ohm and relatively high efficiency. They are also usually closed box without any ambition for the deepest bass which should suit this little baby.

Svein

Output transformers saturating

Hello,
just made some experiments with my Ag9016: I've been able to correct the tone controls behaviour with some mods.
Unfortunately, it's rather been a waste of time because the hard limit of this amp is in the OPT's: no more than half a watt output at 100 Hz without severe distortion. The only way out seems to find 2 good OPT's that can fit inside instead of the original ...
Have you noticed the same fault ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.