40-1377 Radio Shack Tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This baby here?

Attachments

• picture slot.jpg
    picture slot.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 659
Here is a link to a better picture of the Mach TWO -

http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=401&size=big&cat=

First, is your speaker that Realistic Mach TWO?

If you go to Radio Shack you can still find specifications on the speaker system.

http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/7269.htm

The tweeter for the Mach 2 is listed as -

11088648 . . . SPEAKER,BI-RADIAL HORN . . . SP5413

Which does not seem to be the horn tweeter you referenced.

Here is a list of all of Radio Shack's historical parts -

http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/17320.htm

Find your speaker model there, and see if you can get details on the crossover points.

For example -

Listed in Features for the Mach 2 -

"The 15" (38 cm) high-compliance woofer speaker faithfully reproduces rich bass from 25 to 800 Hz. The 5" cone midrange speaker gives exceptionally smooth response from 800 to 6,000 Hz."

That implies the crossovers for this system are 800hz and 6,000hz.

Which probably means you can use virtually any tweeter that will fit and has the same impedance.

Note, in searching Google for the Mach TWO, I found several people in various forums who have Mach 2's that had blown woofers. If you can find one of these people who would sell you their tweeters, that might be a solution.

So, what is the exact model of your speaker system?

Steve/bluewizard

40-1377

I built my own speakers and used these dual radial horn tweeters because they went up to 40K Hz. I was impressed by this. I should have bought a spare set back in the day but did not. I know some of these are around somewhere. I really do need the exact replacement because I designed and built my own crossovers and used the frequency curve of the 40-1377.
I think these were also fero-fluid because after one of mine burned out, I opened it up and this stuff ran out. I always liked the way they looked.

Radio Shack 40-1377 dual Horn Tweeters

I had the Mack 2 speakers. What a great sound they had.
I have since sold the speakers but I do have some parts new in the box from Radio Shack.

I have:
(QTY 2) Realistic 40-1377 New in Box - Dual Hown Tweeter used in Mach 3 speakers 4Khz to 50Khz 70 watts RMS, 2 OZ magnet, 92db efficiency SPL

(QTY1) 1 Realistic 40-1299A New in Box 100 watt, 3 way crossover - choice of 4 frequencies

I'm willing to sell posed with a reasonable offer.

Allan

The Mach 2 tweeter had a slightly different magnet size (thicker) than the component version (e.g. the one you could buy off the shelf). I believe they were both made by Foster. I have multiple pairs of both versions and can find no real difference other than the magnet size. They sound identical as well. The lenses, coils, phase plugs, screws, etc. all seem to be the same.

Regards.

Sagster

Another interesting thing about these tweeters that I have come to find out is that they have been used extensively for audio research because of their extremely high response. Many Scientists have been using them for audio research in humans, bats, crickets, etc. There are many research papers posted on the web that list the 40-1377 as being used in the experiment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.