4 x BTL 300W/8R - a TDA8950j based 4 channel power amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
But I injected a sine wave of 30Hz and I hear a buzzing tone. Unfortunately my scope is broken at the moment, once I got it repaired I will take pictures to show what I hear. For my experience seeing and hearing waves surely I will find the classic distrortion at the zero crossing of the sine wave...

Then your implementation is broken. If I inject 30Hz I hear 30Hz and more or less nothing else.
In one of the previous posts I said "would not use for audiophile listening". But for non critical listening, powering a party room, driving subwoofers or as bass guitar amplifier (playing heavy metal music) you may use this chip.
Indeed it may be hard to detect the distortion errors as it is around ~ 0.1% from 4 - 7 kHz but if your speakers are good and your ears are trained you will hear it.

BR, Toni

Attachments

• tda8950j_btl_8r.png
    tda8950j_btl_8r.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 425
Then your implementation is broken. If I inject 30Hz I hear 30Hz and more or less nothing else.
In one of the previous posts I said "would not use for audiophile listening". But for non critical listening, powering a party room, driving subwoofers or as bass guitar amplifier (playing heavy metal music) you may use this chip.
Indeed it may be hard to detect the distortion errors as it is around ~ 0.1% from 4 - 7 kHz but if your speakers are good and your ears are trained you will hear it.

BR, Toni

Is this so much better

Attachments

• IRAUDAMP.jpg
    IRAUDAMP.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 392
It is strange as the THD goes a little high at 6kHz or so, that is why I was mot initially worried about it. I know I will be shot down in flames but even with its "high" THD you should not hear anything at those levels.

Does it sound like ringing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you mean you can hear 0.01% distortion? ;)

No:D I don't think the artifacts I hear is distortion.

I used nylon screws but should have used metal screws to mount PCB to heatsink, and heatsink should be isolated from metal chassis. I failed on both:eek: .I do know I had some oscillation and I think/hope that's the reason for the artifacts. Did some more soldering last night so hopefully I can test within a week or two.

I FIXED THE PROBLEM OF MY AMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fortunately the chips are not damaged! :)

In my next post I will upload a couple of schematics showing the mistake of the builder of the amp and the solution I made!

So chienmort, don't be afraid to make this amp to use with your bass guitar, it will fit perfectly for the task! I will post shots of my bass boxes too, the upper one of the boxes is in my avatar.

Toni, you gave me the most imortant clue to fix the problem with your answer about the 30Hz injection. Thanks! ;)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I FIXED THE PROBLEM OF MY AMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fortunately the chips are not damaged! :)

In my next post I will upload a couple of schematics showing the mistake of the builder of the amp and the solution I made!

So chienmort, don't be afraid to make this amp to use with your bass guitar, it will fit perfectly for the task! I will post shots of my bass boxes too, the upper one of the boxes is in my avatar.

Toni, you gave me the most imortant clue to fix the problem with your answer about the 30Hz injection. Thanks! ;)

You are welcome!
Thats fine to hear that you got it running. The TDA8950j isn't good enough for audiophile listening, but good enough for every day listening.

BR, Toni

Joined 2011
Paid Member
So is the best idea to buy boards and modify them? Alternatively maybe get PCBs made from Toni's Gerber files. Or would Toni sell his amp,ifiers now he is going to SystemD LiteAmp?

I'm replacing my tda8950j amp modules with bridged SystemD LiteAmp as I want a relatively high power Class D AMP for 8R Speakers with audiophile quality for my "high end" party room. The TDA8950j project hasn't fullfilled this due to the relatively high distortions at around 4 -7 kHz and the relatively high distortions playing music in the 1 - 5W range.

Of course you can use my Gerber files if you want to diy your pcb @ home as my TDA8950j pcb layout is single sided and therefore very easy to build.

BR, Toni

P.S.: The old amplifier modules may be someday reused for active subwoofers.

I am pleased that you have repaired your amp. Can you post pictures of the board too please.

Thank you!

About the pictures I'm in debt because I didn't take shots of it, but I guess it's better to follow Toni's offer, now I'm building a separate input stage for my amp to avoid rebuilding the entire of it, at least by now, my future plans on this is to make a whole new design.

Rei.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The mute delay is controlled by a microcontroller and is configured for a delay of 2.5 seconds. There is absolutely no noise or click or pop hearable during mute-phase. Attached a partially schematic showing the mute circuit. The microcontroller is connected at port MUTE and provides TTL level signal.
As you can see I'm using 10µF and a 470R resistor to TDA8950j MODE pin.
The capacitor will be charged/discharged using 5.6k resistor providing a smooth voltage change on mode pin.

BR, Toni

Attachments

• tda8950_btl_mute_detail.png
    tda8950_btl_mute_detail.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 337
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.