4" or 5" full range driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just thinking about the whole variable thickness route

i seem to remember there being a post a while back from someone who'd done an enclosure shaped like a tulip?

the whole thing was made up from layers of MDF and then sanded smooth

using the same technique a completely different contour could be designed for the inside of the box

another thought that came to mind was that you could infact make them layers identical and put a 3/4" round over on the top and bottom of the inside edge giving a corrugated effect to the inside and diffusing the sound

just a thought
dave

synergy said:
just thinking about the whole variable thickness route

i seem to remember there being a post a while back from someone who'd done an enclosure shaped like a tulip?

the whole thing was made up from layers of MDF and then sanded smooth

using the same technique a completely different contour could be designed for the inside of the box

another thought that came to mind was that you could infact make them layers identical and put a 3/4" round over on the top and bottom of the inside edge giving a corrugated effect to the inside and diffusing the sound

just a thought
dave

....or use a CNC router. :D

Attachments

• nonsuch_construction_4.jpeg
    nonsuch_construction_4.jpeg
    16.1 KB · Views: 430
New Gallo 3" Micro T

Anthony Gallo is showing a new micro ball at CES right now (the new Micro T). It is a 3 inch full range titanium driver with a paper dust cap. He claims it is very flat to 22K. It is mounted in a 4" ball and will be $400 the pair retail. He has a powered $400 sub that he is showing with them at CES. Apparently only 1.5 grams moving mass. Anthony says in some ways he prefers them to the Referece IIIs. The sub has a 200uf cap and .1 bypass that goes to the micros that cuts them off around 100hz....the sub does the rest.....of course you can run them wide open but power handling would be diminished as well as I would think clarity with all that bass bouncing around in the sealed balls. Cannot wait to get a pair and play. 4 of them in a mini line source would be nice. If you are at CES I would check them out (Anthony says it will be mind blowing).....driven by a 15 watt a channel $129 Teac? shelf system.....he he. fun little things.

Gallo 3 inch full range

The four balls per side was just my idea of fun (mini line source).....Anthony Gallo is demoing just one pair of balls with woofer ($800 total retail) with the shelf system at CES......What I want to do when I get a pair is hardwire them directly with great wire (no binding posts on any speaker I have had since 1979) and also try cutting the ball in half and mounting it to a 5 inch diamater damped PVC pipe maybe a foot or so long so the back wave is slowly absorbed and also has a port of some sort in the rear so the ball is not in a sealed box....I am looking for maximum transparency. One of the best speakers I ever heard was 9 three inch damped Audax full range drivers in series parallel/line source with a couple of modified Fostex ribbon tweeters crossed in about 10K.....sounded like a super modified full range electrostat with incredible dynamics....maybe I can convince Anthony to let me have 18 of them to try it.....he he.

Re: Gallo 3 inch full range

Ric Schultz said:
.......What I want to do when I get a pair is hardwire them directly with great wire (no binding posts on any speaker I have had since 1979) and also try cutting the ball in half and mounting it to a 5 inch diamater damped PVC pipe maybe a foot or so long so the back wave is slowly absorbed and also has a port of some sort in the rear so the ball is not in a sealed box....

the drivers might not like the loading. i think gallo has his drivers custom made for his boxes. i suspect he first came up with an acceptable WAF solution and then designed the system around this. most of us (incl all my systems) get the drivers we can afford first and then build boxes. the result usually does not very high WAF. It was WAF that got me thinking fullrange.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.