4 inch Midranges - Price Performance ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I looked up a couple of (slightly larger) drivers, the 15M I mentioned earlier, and the 4.5" Dayton that Bill Poster just mentioned. These are images from Voice Coil.

The Dayton midbass level was "a 2.83 V/1 m impulse response" (about 86dB) ...and it has ~3% distortion under 1kHz, rising sharply below 200Hz.

The 15M level was "setting the SPL to 94 dB at 1 m (1.16 V) using a pink noise stimulus" ...and it has ~1% distortion under 1kHz, rising sharply below 200Hz.

So: it looks like both units are suitable for a 200Hz crossover, but the 15M looks a jillion times better, with 1/3 the distortion when played 8dB louder.

Am I interpreting these graphs (and signal levels) correctly?

Yes but we were talking about a 4", the 15M is even closer to 5.5". The usual issue is excursion as most of these are designed for sealed use and at higher power levels they`d distort badly if used so low.

NE123..

I'd highly recommend the NE123. Curt and I used it in the Statements II's. IMHO, it's an affordable driver with Revelator class performance.

Jim

Attachments

• NE123HD2.8v101613.jpg
    NE123HD2.8v101613.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 451
SB12PFC has no copper and 0.26mH coil inductance. SB13PFC also appears to be missing the copper sleeve, as with the SB16PFC.

SB12NRX does have copper sleeve, with 0.14mH inductance and obviously lower distortion across the midland compared to the PFC flavour.

Looks like the PFC (cheap plastic) drivers are missing the copper across all sizes.

Last edited:
I always thought the Peerless was very ambitious looking and wanted to try it. I think as a true mid the NE123 looks promising, as does it's larger cousin the NE149.

As a mid-woofer however the FaitalPRO 5" are really interesting however. The bass, power handling and efficiency make it a better choice, no?

I'm so glad this thread got so lively by the way. :)

Erik

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Nothing against the Peerless (Vifa) driver, they are excellent and I use them often. I just wonder in a case of using a 4" for a midrange, what does the Vifa give you over the Faital, for example? I don't see it, and it's quite possibly there, just don't know what it is.

Nothing against the Peerless (Vifa) driver, they are excellent and I use them often. I just wonder in a case of using a 4" for a midrange, what does the Vifa give you over the Faital, for example? I don't see it, and it's quite possibly there, just don't know what it is.
How do they compare soundwise?

so many good reviews of the ne123 ie 'holographic soundstage' etc
Plus the gorgeous construction is similar to v expensive Scan's but for much less money.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I dunno, you'll have to tell me. Without comparing them in the same speaker with appropriate crossovers, all I have to go on is spec sheets. How different would they sound with the same bandwidth?

Are there any published tests comparing their distortion, waterfall or sonograms? That would help.

4FE35 has a copper cap, the 4FE32 uses neodymium magnets and has no copper in the motor. I have used the second in a car install and for the money its a beast. Not sure why some of the Fostex bunch are not mentioned - they have a very sweet midrange.

None of the PFC drivers have copper, but the pole piece is undercut. Very nice for the money with significant 2nd order distortion at an above 2.5Khz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.