4" for Mini Monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anybody recommend any 4" mid bass drivers for a Mini Monitor designed for a small 8ft square room (Needs to be a sealed enclosure)
And more about tight, punchy bass and not depth.

Cheers, Rob

Checkout the Hivi B4n:
Product information:B4N bass-midrange
I just built a HT setup using these in sealed boxes... Very good but best ported for use without a sub.

Frank

Last edited:
Been having a play- (Both 2nd order parallel and inverted polarity on the tweeters)

Wavecor WF120BD04/Scanspeak D2010

6007928695_4ebb1833e3_o.gif

Wavecor WF120BD04/hiquphon OW1

6008476312_8cb5266ec8_o.gif

No BSC atm as they will be placed close to the rear walls, i dont think they will need it!

Cheers, would probably just make my own anyway though.
Currently weighing up this diy project vs just buying a pair of SCM7's. In total with the CA12RCY or Wavecor and D2010 or D2905 or HDS tweeters etc and box, crossover components, gets very close to the £300 i could spend on a used pair of ATC's.

Anybody used the MCA12RC in a small monitor?
I know its a mid range unit with only 1.8mm Xmax, but it sims really well in a 6Litre closed box (f3-88Hz) and looks nice and smooth up to 10kHz where the phase shift happens.
Troels mentions its a really fast, dynamic and smooth mid-range-
3-Way Classic

And as SPL really is not a priority, could it work?

Currently have some ATC SCM10 monitors as well as the Keesonics mentioned before, to work with as a base (to tune by ear)

Hi,

Of course it will work, low powered amplifiers especially. Bass SPL will be
limited and the CA12RCY would suit having more power on tap, the real
question is why ? what are you trying to achieve ?

I agree that for a budget heading towards £300 the used ATC's are
a more sensible idea, how much would the ATC bass/mid's be new ?
A lot more than the seas drivers thats for sure.

I've seen small sealed Spendors going used for less than the price
of a new pair of the Scanspeak tweeters fitted (£150), certainly
in the UK at least DIY is not cost effective for small loudspeakers.

rgds, sreten.

I already have the ATC SCM10's, as well as the Keesonic Kolts.

I like the look of the MCA12RC over the CA12RCY as its got a higher QTS, and sims well in a Sealed box (which i want) and has lots of comments for its transparent and dynamic presentation.

What i want over the SCM10's and Keesonics is a speaker that sounds good at lower volumes, a downside of the ATC's. I really am not using the extra output capability of the ATC's.
Its not bass that is the issue at lower volumes, its just the ATC's sound a bit closed in. Something that was more open would be ideal.

It would be easiest to just take the Keesonics and improve them with a better crossover and more substantial cabinet, but as they are rare, i really dont want to take them apart, hence looking at the modern day versions of the drivers in the MCA12RC and the CA12RCY.

I have heard Spendor speakers (S3/5R and SA1) and both sounded a bit dull to me.

the Fostex FW108N looks perfect but its way over budget @ £130/ea!

Last edited:
I'm a closed box speaker fan myself (something about small UK homes maybe).
However your listening space looks extremely tight. Perhaps you could look at small active options designed for nearfield monitoring.
Adam Audio A3's should not sound dull at low volumes (worth considering, despite being ported):
A3X - Description | ADAM Audio GmbH
Adam Audio A3X Monitors | Tech Reviews | MusicRadar.com

You might need to find a music shop (selling studio monitors) that carries these to hear them. It is not a Hifi dealer product.

I like the look of the MCA12RC over the CA12RCY as its got a higher QTS, and sims well in a Sealed box (which i want) and has lots of comments for its transparent and dynamic presentation.

Its not bass that is the issue at lower volumes, its just the ATC's sound a bit closed in. Something that was more open would be ideal.

dedicated midrange in small sealed and dynamic presentation. Litlle doubt about that:D

I think you should look for high Qts driver (MCA12 is, but it has low xmax) and bit hot tweeter so I sounds open at low volumes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.