4 driver focused array

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On my searching I found this great thread, along with a LOT of information on line arrays. I have stumbled upon a large batch of fullrange drivers I want to use for this purpose. The question I just can't seem to find an answer to is that with series/parallel (especially series...) arrangements and fullrange drivers I would think the inductance of the voice coils is going to act as a lowpass filter?:confused:

How does one regularly work around that? Using a whole bunch of separate amplifier channels? Parallel them all and use a VERY stable amplifier?:eek: I would think a big bunch of separate time aligned channels would do the job real nice?

But I would think that them all in parallel has advantages over them all in series for instance. The resistance of a driver in series will raise the Q of the electrical system. The amount I'm planning to drive can be driven in parallel to the amp that I plan to use. Although the low resulting impedance will then raise THD+N of the amp. What would be a greater disadvantage? Of course the acoustical Q I can still adapt to the electrical Q by building the right enclosure for the drivers....

it is up to you.
if you are driving 2 speakers, then you can do either depending on what you want to do.

I had a friend who barely fixed a marantz amp and brought it to a marantz fair (actual techs). Eventhough his distortion was .5% versus the stock .005%, nobody could hear a difference.

Some say the back emf of 2 drivers in series can sound worse than when 2 drivers in parallel.

Norman

I guess it'll come down to a lot of experimenting and measuring curves then... I planned to use a four channel amplifier which is 1 ohms stable on each channel. The input impedance of the amp is really high, so that should not present any trouble for the source. Then I have eight 3" drivers per speaker. So I can parallel four speakers for each amplifier channel, two groups of four per speaker driven by two amplifier channels per speaker.

Or run the amplifier at a higher voltage so it is 2 ohms stable per channel and do groups of 2s2p per amplifier channel....:confused:

I guess I fear raise in Q more than raise in THD indeed, so the first option is probably best.:beady: I shall post my findings here...

Thanks for the help so far.:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.