4.7 uf input cap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll join ya on the "burning in" ;)

I tend to do better with soldering after some grass because it's easier to keep my hands still.

My little mono 50W @ 4ohm amp I built uses a 63V 4.7uf Electrolytic, because I saw that most cheap home amps use a 2.2uf, and I wanted to ensure good bass response, and I think overkill is good. I didn't go to 10uf because it's unnecessary.

Thanks Peter for the optimum orientation of the 4.7uf blackgate, Interestingly enough I have already soldered it together in that orientation! I was hoping that I had done it correctly but as this is my first gainclone that I am building for my father I was just anxious to get it put together. I have been viewing these threads for some time off and on and finally had the money and time to put this amp together. Well at least one channel for testing and evaluation. Both will be running by next week, but still I am in need of a heatsink of which will be a 3" x 6" x 1/4" piece of aluminum however I still need to find a good source for this as homedepot only carries 1/8" thick aluminum and I need to tap screws for the lm3875's into it so hd's won't work.

My first impresions (with one channel running) are WOW! I only have one minor trait that I am not sure I want and that is the bass is not as tight as other amps. Some may prefer this because it gives the impresion of the bass notes being deeper and louder. I have already discovered that increasing the capacitance from using 1 1000 uf. (Panasonic fc's) to 2 1000 uf. caps per bridge does tighten up things a bit. I am waiting for the other caps all fc's 2200uf. in order to try expirimenting with even more capacitance but for this I will have both channels running.

oh, ya. I am using an almost exact copy of peter daniels inverted gainclone that I had saved a while back. 250va toroid

I am definitely very satisfied and anxious to complete this so that i can build another! I started building this one as a computer amp that could be used in a home audio system as well. It features a usb plug in that will act as the remote turn on/off with a selectable rear switch to bypass this feature for use in a home system by just using the main front mounted rocker switch. I bought a hammond case that will fit nicely under the computer monitor. I also put together a circuit for a dual color led(orange/green) that will light the led green when the unit is on and orange when in usb standby mode. I only have left to test the triac circuit that will turn on/off the 250va main toroid of which I took from an audioxpress article for another amp. I hope that it functions correct and doesn't emit too much noise into the circuit.

thinking i was clever i tried it once. it is a sonic disaster. i do not know why, but parraleling input caps if you have to use one is a very bad idea.

it really ruined the sound. everrything sounded like it was going through an effects box set to a static setting (phaser)

once i took the "other" cap out it sounded a lot better. keeping ANY caps out of the signal is a better way though but it might be impossible .

just go with the 4.7u or higher BG if you need an input cap. it makes more difference than a BG anywhere else. after all what is more in the signal than a dc blocking cap. and in that case Black Gate do sound better.

proove it with you ears :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.