$4,000 Tweeter!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, it's not one of those diamond numbers by Accuton, it's this:

http://www.e-speakers.com/products/beengineering.html

No real "point" to this post, other than to point out another stratospherically priced driver - maybe the most expensive out there, or darn close to it. Wonder if it sounds a hundred times as good as a $40 SEAS, Morel, etc? Zaph would love this one I'm sure. Just curious - has anyone ever heard these? I'm sure they're superb, but that price tag...

Also, while I'm talking about the e-speakers site, has anyone ever heard/built with those Manger drivers? I don't recall ever seeing any posts or designs here - maybe there's a good reason.

One more link - these are big and ugly, in my opinion, but for the cost and the designer's comments I have to wonder what they sound like (and it's a kit!):

http://www.e-speakers.com/images/ES-TAD-Ref1.jpg

Cheers all

Hi

I have heard the BEEngineering ribbons (the US$3000 ones) with

PHL bass support driven by Bel Canto T amps. Was not overly

impressed and also saw the $4000 model opened up as the

ribbon was burn out or damaged. Feel that the Ravens are

better made at this point. Certainly a Accuton, Raven, Nuforce

combination with BelCanto Preamp and SACD player sounded

much more alive and had more depth.

It may have been the Nuforce amps but the price of the

BEEnginering units are rather high compared to the Ravens. OK

if you really need the lower crossover point on the big BE unit .

Still the Raven 3 in its latest version is good down to 650-800Hz?

Also the Raven 3.2 is a refined design not a new one ! ! !

Regards

AnthonyPT

cowanrg said:
ive heard the mangers a few times from commercial offerings. they sounded decent overall. not a whole lot of top end sparkle, but not harsh. just a bit dead on the top. but relatively open and airy for a full range driver. they were paired with like a 15" or something for a really full range system. it wasnt bad.

Same comments here.

Cheap consumer Junk, here $ 8,000 Supertweeter

ALE P1750 Supertweeter (above 8KHz), 22Kg weight....

Only $ US 16,000 the pair

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Add Midrange Driver

ALE P4550 Supertweeter (above1.5KHz to 10KHz), 22Kg weight....

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Mid/Hi range units in total only $ US 32,000 for Stereo....

I'm not knocking them BTW, probably very, very good.

Sayonara

Re: Cheap consumer Junk, here $ 8,000 Supertweeter

Kuei Yang Wang said:
ALE P1750 Supertweeter (above 8KHz), 22Kg weight....

Add Midrange Driver

ALE P4550 Supertweeter (above1.5KHz to 10KHz), 22Kg weight....

Mid/Hi range units in total only $ US 32,000 for Stereo....

I'm not knocking them BTW, probably very, very good.

Sayonara

Ha Ha - I've been outdone, by a factor of 2!! Wow that's an unbelievable price - just think what you could get commercially for a whole system for that kind of money, let alone what you could do DIY.

Are there any commercial applications these are in? Well, this is interesting - how about people post the most expensive available DIY drivers they can find? Woof, mid, tweet, etc. Just to see how high we can go? The "best" driver is always elusive and subjective, but the most expensive might be easier to narrow down.

I suppose you can't knock stuff like this, but at some point the cost/benefit ratio goes way off kilter, and way out of reach for the average buyer, and just about all DIYers.

Re: Re: Cheap consumer Junk, here $ 8,000 Supertweeter

Konnichiwa,

sdclc126 said:
how about people post the most expensive available DIY drivers they can find? Woof, mid, tweet, etc. Just to see how high we can go?

Not sure about "how high" we can go.

I'll just post "how high" I went.

My own speakers at home use a pair of 8" "fullrange" drivers (read that as drivers intended to be operated without crossover) that retail at US $ 2,700 the pair (or around $ 170 per inch). And I think they are worth every cent. In a reasonable size open baffle and depending on the fieldcoil voltage they manage 50Hz - 10..15KHz.

So added on are a pair of Visaton TL-16H Horn supertweeters which bring us another $ 500 into the bargain.

Finally a cute little sub with a pair of Pro Audio 12" Woofers (these are the weakest link and on the endangered species list right now - I fancy something with the numbers reversed) in a sealed box, probably with Plateamp another $ 500 or so.

Well, that is a system with around $ 3,700 in drivers and plateamp only.

Add powersupplies for the fieldcoils, enclosures, acrylic baffles etc. and there are at least $ 6,000 in materials in that speaker system right now, for what is basically a 1 1/2-1/2 Way system.

I do not think I have heard much that can match what my system does. Closest so far is a pair of MEG RL-901K, which incidentally cost more than twice that, are pro studio monitors and a are notably edgier and somewhat more fatiguing, never mind butt ugly....

Sayonara

ALE Acoustic 17Super Tweeter.

5,880,000 yen per pair. That's almost $77,000 USD.

That figure has the correct number of zeros.

Attachments

• ALE 17 Supper Tweeter.jpg
    ALE 17 Supper Tweeter.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 327
  • ALE 17Super Pair.JPG
    ALE 17Super Pair.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 330
  • ALE 17Super.JPG
    ALE 17Super.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 335
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
ALE Acoustic 17Super Tweeter.

5,880,000 yen per pair. That's almost $77,000 USD.

That figure has the correct number of zeros.

A bit shabby a place of putting them together to ask $77K I would think from the pictures. The mark up from production facility investment and material cost must be humongous. Even if there is only one customer, its great biz. And I suspect there are a few more.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Does Alnico and Permendur, his fab facilities and know how, his marketing and dealership network services equal this similar price product? If there are clients at such price range for making rare audio things they very well do make them, there are $300K wristwatches, but we delve into insane price range audio extreme products. Nice that they exist to talk about.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.