35 second tune-up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In normal commercial audio equipment there are HUNDREDS of small but definitely magnetic sections in the signal path.

All resistors, except the VERY expenive ones have steel endcaps = magnetic, and may even have steel wires = very magnetic..

Many caps use steel connecting wires.

Valve pins are steel = magnetic.

Transistors, and ICs use a alloy that's magnetic for the connection pins/lead outs.

Even surface mount caps and R's use a nickel layer = magnetic.

Get yourself a really strong small neodymium magnet and check all these parts out. WE do before we buy any parts, and if they are magnetic we don't buy them.

Alex's technique could well have a good effect on magnetism picked up in all these magnetic sections. There are several commercial CDs available that do a similar thing.

So don't laugh at what you don't understand - or you may just label yourself a fool.

Regards, Allen

In reply to magenetic components, the amount is miniscule, and if it was a concern I would be more worried about the effect this magentism would have in critical circuitry, ie life support, millitary, aerospace products. It is negligable to the extent it can be ignored, and being sourounded by changing currents is normal working conditions is not going to magnetise things to any appreciable extent IMO

I think this one is maybe for the lovers of the snake oil.....

maybe an auditory illusion....otherwise known as wishful thinking...

For a living, I work with High voltage AC and DC, within an company making LARGE electrical generators, Motors etc. I used HUGE transformers everyday, and the electrical machines i test(the generators motors etc), contain cores of laminated silicon steel just like that of a transformer.

The very nature of AC voltages negate the possibilty of magnetisation of these magnetically permeable materials--in fact AC is used to de-magnetise in many applications. A LARGE DC voltage and current in proximity to ferromagnetic materials WILL however, over a period of time, magnetise it.

Trouble is, speakers dont utilise DC, at least only momentarily, when the cone jumps off the spider when an capless SS amp expires..... even within such amps, unless youre dealing with many many volts and tens of amps, CONSTANTLY, within the power supply for instance, then youre not going to suffer any real magnetisation AT ALL..

This is where the boatload of nonsense i believe has originated.

Heres a drink for the snake oil posse,:cheers: next time lets skip the mary jane eh boys?

Don't forget to also change the steel screws in your loudspeakers to brass ones *sigh*

The idea is to rise above the snake oil, or so I thought.:confused:

HAHA i didnt read all the thread. it was just too painful...... I thought I was going to be the only one to go down the old snake oil route...

Maybe if I consult my spirit guide, HE will tell me the way to make my speakers disperse sound in a spheroid point source, at infinite acceleration, warping the space-time continuum, and allowing me to cross dimensions, surfing my wave of sound. Or maybe i should see a shrink...:cheers:

All resistors, except the VERY expenive ones have steel endcaps = magnetic, and may even have steel wires = very magnetic..

really? all tinned copper and aluminium end caps here.....are you buying from quickie mart?

Many caps use steel connecting wires.

as above.

Valve pins are steel = magnetic.

maybe but valves are valves...thats the least of their downfalls

Transistors, and ICs use a alloy that's magnetic for the connection pins/lead outs.

NOT in my (slightly limited, but still valid) experience.

Even surface mount caps and R's use a nickel layer = magnetic.

Nickel, yes. slightly magnetic, yes. readily magnetised, and permeable? NOT quite as bad as they could be if they were steel coated with nickel...ie guitar strings.

So don't laugh at what you don't understand - or you may just label yourself a fool.

better still, dont believe the hype. The tiny amounts you speak of, (in the few valid examples) wouldnt even touch an audio signal at anything other than pecovolt or even femtovolt levels, which i suspect wouldnt even be present to a large degree with old style turntables.

even if they did, it'd take some substantial DC signal to be present in order to magnetise them in the first place, which shouldnt be present anyway. That coupled to the fact that if they are this susceptable, then the AC signal will swamp then and within a small period of time, demagnetise them anyway....After all AC is AC, there is nothing special about a 1kHz test tone...except its ability to hurt your head at loud volumes, possibly damage your hearing, and lead you to a conclusion that your system sounds better after youve tortured your ears for 35 seconds.

Total hogwash

Wow. Not one, not two or three, but four replies from mondogenerator blasting away at the OP. What is so infuriating about the subject at hand? I am going to take Alex from Oz's advice ("Try it - don't try it...that's your choice") and not try this trick, but I'm also not going to post four times in 25 minutes trying to ensure that nobody else does. Wanna talk about snake oil or dubious science? Start another thread about how your Prime Minister has whole-heartedly swallowed the global warming pill.

WE do before we buy any parts, and if they are magnetic we don't buy them.

No transformers (they all have magnetic cores)? No tubes (every tube I know of has steel internals)?

A decent basic intro to electromagnetic properties of materials will allow one to understand why CD signals cannot magnetize nor demagnetize anything. If one believes that magnetism is a problem, itself a questionable belief, then one needs a degausser, not a CD.

If I had to guess, my hypothesis would be that the effect being heard is from the hearing protection and not the sin wave being played. I suggest putting in the hearing protection for the same amount of time as you would when playing the demag file and then see what you hear. The use of the hearing protection would definitely result in what is termed sensory adaptation which is a well described phenomena that has a known cellular mechanism.

Last edited:
A decent basic intro to electromagnetic properties of materials will allow one to understand why CD signals cannot magnetize nor demagnetize anything.

See post #4.
The article described the effect as 'demagnetising' - so that is what I have presented here.

If I had to guess, my hypothesis would be that the effect being heard is from the hearing protection

Hearing protection is used for at most 10 seconds - enough time to set the volume level and leave the room.
Once outside the room, the hearing protection comes off as there is no need for it.

If sensory adaptation does takes place in that 10 second period, the elapsed time between playing the track and re-entering the room is more than enough to reverse any sensory adaptation effect caused by wearing hearing protection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.