$325 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn ~ 35Hz extension

I am super excited about these initial test results....

Ignore the SPL, i dont know if it is correct, and i measured voltages just to check for consistency, but it is not a 1w/1m graph. this test was strictly for response curve....
pal12rewmeasurement.jpg

SPL and phase:
pal12rewsplandphase.jpg

Last edited:
When doing the sweeps In REW, I did change the signal strength, hence the shift up or down on some of the graphs.

I was running the sub off of one channel of the amp, with the gain pot wide open.

On one sweep I ran it at -0 db, and did get the amp to clip lightly, which was about 450w rms. the output from the sub was pretty stunning, I was impressed!

I can't wait to now finish this up and build the second, and get it all set up with the dbx 260 and the qsc mx 2000a! :D

How about comparing that to some pass's on the grass? I've seen folks comment elsewhere that tests should be done on grass..... or do you think it doesn’t matter? Also, keen to know how compatible the lab12c(4ohm version) will be with this enclosure. Perhaps I should learn some horn response my self!

Blossom,
All the cabinet values are in hornresp, you would just need to change the driver values.
Is the Hornresp 100% accurate? No. But it's close enough I assume to get a feeler for which drivers will work and which ones won't.

Djlivex,
My dad was inside watching TV and came out and said wtf! I thought a car was racing up and down the block! (As I was running the sweeps in REW lol)

Epa,
Yes that's why I'm happy with the results. And I think a touch of EQ below 40hz, down to 35hz should make this very useful for techno style PA. As long as the high pass is steep and not too low.

Btw, Any high pass filter suggestions? I'd like to use butterworth to avoid cutting at the high pass frequency, unless its set low enough.

Btw, Any high pass filter suggestions? I'd like to use butterworth to avoid cutting at the high pass frequency, unless its set low enough.
Check for the excursion minima (Hornresp will give a good idea to start, probably around 37 Hz) and put a BW 24 about 5 Hz below.

Response looks smooth (for a Lab12 in a TH), does not look like it would be worth doing experimentation with the mouth.

If you want a lower LF corner, you can just plate off a portion of the mouth for that type of musical genre.

Good job, other than the extra 5 lbs of screws;) !

Art

I only did 3.8V max testing. When I did run the few sweeps in REW they were at higher power, but I was about 8 feet from the cabinet I couldn't really check for flexing.

But remember this is a 13.5" internal width cabinet, and meant to handle around 500w rms. it's not a 2kw cabinet.

With a stronger driver maybe bracing is necessary, not sure.