$325 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn ~ 35Hz extension

its almost straight sine waves (with *light* saturation), thus the "squashed" appearance when lopassed.

We dont call it "bass music" for nothing. also known as "Sound System Music". Adding excess upper harmonics to the bass just takes away from the sub bass headroom, so most producers dont do that. Instead, its made to be enjoyed on systems that are perceived as WAY to excessive for the size room (8 lab subs for 300 people excessive).

TT Dynamic ranges manual does not give provision for a lopassed signal lol (although the track fullrange doesnt have much more dynamics, considering there is very little midrange at all lol).

here's a pic of the lowpassed waveform for hunter. If it was *terribly squashed* there wouldnt be any variation in the signal level.

Attachments

• humter waveform.jpg
    humter waveform.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 676
Last edited:
We dont call it "bass music" for nothing. also known as "Sound System Music".

here's a pic of the lowpassed waveform for hunter. If it was *terribly squashed* there wouldnt be any variation in the signal level.
If there were any variation in signal level, the dynamic range would be more than 3 dB :).

But a severely squashed sine wave would start to square out, and then would have even more RMS level, a square wave has 0 dB crest factor.
Sounds louder too ;).

Sine waves masquerading as "bass music" does nothing for me..

Last edited:
Only reason I posted. At least it gives you a bit of insight into the "insane" bass cravings of a couple members here.
Glad you did, never had seen examples of music with bass having as limited dynamic range as you posted before.

I don't think that craving sine waves for bass qualifies as insanity, but I don't personally find them at all musically compelling.

But there are very few that find the music I have made compelling :D.

different strokes.

all sound is sine waves (layered of course), using a pure sine waveto reproduce 30 hz in a musical sense is a craving for 30 hz (not 60, or 90, or 120). esp once you figure in equal loudness curves. That being said, there are still harmonics in said tracks I posted, but rather than the 2nd harmonic of 35hz (70hz) being 0db down (as is the case with bass guitar), its more like 20 db down at the source.

heres a an average spec of the same 54 seconds (with the hipass raised a bit to 150). 35hz is 4 db down, 70hz peak is 22 db down, 105hz peak is 17 db down. Still harmonics, just not int he sense of a bass guitar :p. That 50hz odd peak is the kick drum meat.

anyways, thats the end of this thread delrailment for me.

Attachments

• hunter avg spec.jpg
    hunter avg spec.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 659
Only reason I posted. At least it gives you a bit of insight into the "insane" bass cravings of a couple members here.
When you can't breath through your nose because your nostrils are flapping with the sub... that's good.
Sometimes I wonder if it's pure exhilaration from sound I'm feeling, or just mild hypoventilation :eek:

"a lot of the edm I would play is somewhere between -5 to -10db rms" meaning that the average power is is 5-10db below peaks and dynamic range from peak to rms would be 5-10db. not sure if that is the crest factor though.

None of my EDM is less than -5db rms and even -5db wouldn't be hardly any. most heavy stuff would be -7 to -10db but this is all before any lowpass.

Last edited:
I just found out I can get B&C 12" drivers shipped to Aus for US $292.64 from china (manufacturer?) also a seamail service may make it even less. This opens up a lot of opportunities, especially that more of the B&C range is available (yet not explicitly stated as b&c brand).

12TBX100 8 loudspeaker-in Speakers from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com
18 Sound and Beyma are other options also for your driver selection. I will; be building some TH's in the future using a 18 Sound pair of drivers. Beyma is not ALWAYS the cheapest but 18 Sound tend to be cheaper than anything from BC.

I have about 7drivers from 18 Sound because of this. Just helpful info is all.