32-bit DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
You seem to be the one that doesn't understand. After all processing is done and the data is headed to a DAC, there's no need for more than 24 bits from source to DAC. Indeed, truncation is actually fine since the ear itself doesn't reach 24 bits worth of dynamic range (not to mention that current DACs fails to achieve linearity to 24 bits)

I also have the AKM4397 eval boards, and also the Ad1955, and PCM1794A eval boards.

Remember, that when you listen an eval board, you are
listening to not just the DAC chip,
but the whole eval board with is PS regulators, caps, resistors, connectors, receiver chip, clock generator, and of course OPamps!

It is very hard to compare just the DAC chip when listening to a complete DAC eval board.

I did not find the bass to be weak on the eval board. It is powerful but maybe a bit boomy, IMO.

Sigurd

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
abzug said:
You seem to be the one that doesn't understand. After all processing is done and the data is headed to a DAC, there's no need for more than 24 bits from source to DAC. Indeed, truncation is actually fine since the ear itself doesn't reach 24 bits worth of dynamic range (not to mention that current DACs fails to achieve linearity to 24 bits)

never assume !

how do you know where my data is headed after EQ ? its actually headed towards another DSP as i am cascading a digital equalizer with a digital crossover and right between the two it gets clipped.

if the link was 32 bit i might not have had that problem as both DSPs run at 32 bit but the link between them is 24.

there is no need to build limitations into equipment and 24bit interface is clearly an arbitrary limitation.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
abzug said:
Pro audio should use a bigger bit depth, but for consumer audio, 24 bit is NOT an arbitrary limitation--it is one supported by psychoacoustics.

i agree. i just dont like to think of myself as a "consumer"

i may not be a pro (that is, i dont get paid to set up my own stereo) but consumer to me is a curse word

i try to avoid all consumer electronics if i can, they make me ill. im running a server for a desktop, studio monitors for speakers, my electronics are all rackmountable and i have PA speakers installed in the car

im not a complete psycho though, i still run windows Vista for example instead of Linux or windows server but i have reasons for that. when there is no particular reason to go consumer i go professional

consumers = cattle. mindless psychologically manipulated herd.

sometimes the cost of going pro is not justified. sometimes even if you're a pro it can make more sense to go for a cheaper consumer product (graphics cards, flat panel displays). but at other times the pro stuff may be cheaper than consumer (amplifiers) and have much higher performance (most of the time, imho).

consumer stuff is (for the most part) c4ap by design. why anybody who is into "high end" buys anything consumer is a mystery to me. high end consumer product is somewhat of an oxymoron in my opinion.

dont think in terms of marketing propaganda, think in terms of matching solutions to the problem

Except the 32 bits... what else would be special about this DAC? passband ripple: 0.005dB -> not very special. Stopband -75 dB -> not very special. Distortion and noise: 0.0007% -> also not very special. Fully differential outputs? Who doesn't have those...

So really? What up with this thing?

I'm still trying to find an HDMI Breakout Box / DAC ...

The new Apple TV device only has HDMI, optical audio and RCA output for connection to stereo or multi channel equipment. Since that leaves something to be desired for us "golden ear" types, I would really like to find some way to extract that 24 bit / 192K, dolby 5.1 off of the cable. Anyone have a suggestion ?? :confused:

" ... hahaha tell us if you succeed ... "

Well, this is not exactly a DIY project

1) I don't have the inclination for all the design work

2) I don't have all the knowledge for the details of lashing the HDMI transceiver and DAC chips together

3) I would want the end result to look "store bought"

... you see, I have a market for this, seriously, and I don't think my friends at Gefen.com are up to it yet ... :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.