3015lf?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
total rookie

OK, so Jim got me thinking....

It is possible to get to a 40 Hz cutoff, maintain 100 dB 1W efficiency +/- 3 dB from 35-140 Hz, and still be at 340 L (12 cubic feet), but it takes a slightly more esoteric tapped horn with dual tapers and a ported compression chamber. Still not at all bad for a box that is ~2'X2'X3'. Excursion becomes an issue above 250 watts below 50 Hz, but above 40 Hz, you remain within xmech (17 mm) until over 600 watts, though at this point, you really should think about making another cabinet or two.....

Details:

ID=23.40
Ang=2.0 x Pi
Eg=2.83
Rg=0.00
Fta=1.75
S1=450.00
S2=514.47
Con=11.50
F12=0.00
S2=514.47
S3=1000.00
Con=70.00
F23=0.00
S3=1000.00
S4=1662.58
Con=169.00
F34=0.00
S4=1662.58
S5=1800.00
Con=30.50
F45=0.00
Sd=881.10
Bl=18.50
Cms=1.40E-04
Rms=3.90
Mmd=85.40
Le=0.90
Re=5.30
TH=1
Vrc=0.00
Lrc=0.00
Ap1=401.00
Lpt=2.54
Vtc=3000.00
Atc=881.00
Com=Small 40 Hz TH 3015lf

I'm a rookie when it comes to reading codes, how does this translate into a box / fold??? :confused:

That is a hornresp file for the sub I came up with.

I have not made a plan or drawn up a fold yet, because, at the moment, I do not have any 3015's to put into boxes, and I do not need any PA subs. I need home theater subs, so I have been concentrating on that. Since I thought it was a pretty good design, I posted it for others to play with.

In a nutshell, if you know how to use hornresp, it makes sense. If not, you pretty much have to learn hornresp to know what these numbers mean. That set of data, saved as a text file, can be imported into hornresp so that others can work with the same model and hopefully improve it.

It is a dual-taper (decreasing rate of flare) tapped horn with a ported compression chamber loading the driver. It is a much more complicated design than jbells, and it is not quite as loud, but it is 1/2 the size.

It probably weighs the same though.

Since it is a dual-taper box, the fold is a bit more complicated. There are a lot of explanations on how to fold tapped horns out there, volvotreter's is often referred to.

That is a hornresp file for the sub I came up with.

I have not made a plan or drawn up a fold yet, because, at the moment, I do not have any 3015's to put into boxes, and I do not need any PA subs. I need home theater subs, so I have been concentrating on that. Since I thought it was a pretty good design, I posted it for others to play with.

In a nutshell, if you know how to use hornresp, it makes sense. If not, you pretty much have to learn hornresp to know what these numbers mean. That set of data, saved as a text file, can be imported into hornresp so that others can work with the same model and hopefully improve it.

It is a dual-taper (decreasing rate of flare) tapped horn with a ported compression chamber loading the driver. It is a much more complicated design than jbells, and it is not quite as loud, but it is 1/2 the size.

It probably weighs the same though.

Since it is a dual-taper box, the fold is a bit more complicated. There are a lot of explanations on how to fold tapped horns out there, volvotreter's is often referred to.

I must be doing something wrong. I copied the specs, pasted them into notepad and saved as text file (.txt). When attempting to Import the file, Hornresp says it's not a Hornresp file...

OK
For the 3015 = the Furybox by ScreamerUSA (Live Sound thread) and the Apache H15. (Speakerplans.com) 2 different sizes with the identical HR performance.
I just started building both. The Furybox has some plan issues to work out. I should have the Apache built by Thursday or Friday.
Side note - the Apache is a bit smaller and allot easier to build.
It is pretty much just like my TH Mini clones.

PLEASE keep me/us updated with your Apache project!! I've been debating whether or not to tackle it. I'm workin with two BFM T48's right now and they sound great. Very smooth and flat freq response. But, I'm eagerly looking for something a little more portable and less space-taker-uppery.

I'd like to figure out how to properly import the hornresp file and check out all these specs I see floating around... I know I can input them manually, but I don't every see people posting 'L' values (L12, L34, L35, etc)... Not sure if I use some default value or if I have to make certain calculations/measurements to determine those values. Any incite?

I'd like to figure out how to properly import the hornresp file and check out all these specs I see floating around...

Hi CRESCENDO,

I have attached littlemike's design as a Hornresp import file.

1. Copy the file into the Hornresp\Import folder.
2. Use the File > Import > Hornresp Record... menu command to import the data record into Hornresp.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Data.txt
    402 bytes · Views: 55
LittleMike - I checked that page a few days ago! GREAT write-up - thank you!! Very valuable.

Hi CRESCENDO,

I have attached littlemike's design as a Hornresp import file.

1. Copy the file into the Hornresp\Import folder.
2. Use the File > Import > Hornresp Record... menu command to import the data record into Hornresp.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

David

I guess it was caused by the file names I was using...?? Thanks!

Any such thing as a DIY sub that plays better than these numbers with less than 16 cu ft?

HZ 1W MAX (this example uses a 3015LF)

30 94 120

35 96 122

40 97 123

45 98 124

55 102 128

65 106 132

80 107 133

I have found several that model similarly from 30-45, but haven't found any that keep up as freq increases. I'm looking for flat from 30-80 or 100Hz in a smaller package; two new cabs that take up slightly more space than 1 current cab is OK, too. Thoughts?

OK
For the 3015 = the Furybox by ScreamerUSA (Live Sound thread) and the Apache H15. (Speakerplans.com) 2 different sizes with the identical HR performance.
I just started building both. The Furybox has some plan issues to work out. I should have the Apache built by Thursday or Friday.
Side note - the Apache is a bit smaller and allot easier to build.
It is pretty much just like my TH Mini clones.

Any updates for us?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.