• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

300b?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Frank, do you have a reference to the philips study? It's kind of interesting but the way you stated it makes no sense to me, there is more involved I am sure.

All it involves is hanging the tubes on the vacuumpump for days in a row so that all remaing gasses have disappeared.
If you don't have any barium and strontium ions left, no new ones can be created hence no useful life for that tube.

The experiment was done in the Philips labs and was talked about in an addendum to Audio & Techniek, a long defunct Dutch audio magazine.
The article is an interview with Philips engineer van Mossevelde in the presence of Ed de Jong ( Audio Note NL, Audio Innovations, etc.), Menno Spijker, Guido Tent (a member of this forum), Peter van Willenswaard (technical editor pro Audio), Eelco Grimm and John van der Sluis ( editor Audio & Techniek).

Titel: Audio Discussions, Buizen: fabricage, levensduur, gebruik.
AD4 page 10, person speaking Ir. van Mossevelde.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Do you know where can we find past articles of L'audiophile? I am still searching for L'Audiophile 14 (January 1980) to read the article about Jean Hiraga's KT88 SE amplifier (I'm finaly building that one).

# 14 I don't have a copy myself but you can also find it in:

Selection De L'Audiophile, Tome 1: L'Electronique, page 88 and onwards.

There may be a chance that this can still be backordered, the publishing house is " Editions frequences" Paris.

Otherwise the first series of issues can be ordered on CD-R here:

CD.

Cheers,;)

Valve and tube manufacture

The way a valve is made, is a rather interesting story, First all the parts are assembled and the bulb evacuuated This phase complete, the cathode must then be activated, The materials of which its coated are Thorium and Barium Carbonates, and maybe some other rare earth element carbonates.
The cathode is activated, by heating-slowly, which liberates the carbon constituants, in the form of CO2 gas which is pumped off, At this time, care is needed not to let the pressure rise above a set level, this is why the cathode is activated slowly.
When this phase is complete, the cathode is then coated with Oxides, which must now be converted into the free-metal in suspension in the oxides, This is done by heating to around 20% over-temperature, for a set amount of time.

This done, the various electrodes are induction heated to release the occluded gasses in the metal surfaces, All the while, the Vac pumps are still going.

Finally, the bulb tip-off is sealed and the getter fired to mop up.

Then its on to testing etc, and burn-in for certain valves.

the WE factory move

Apparently they moved again and I quote.

Western Electric at this time is dead. Not in business. Not producing diddly. Not answering the phone or emails. Their only product, the 300B, has not been produced since 2002. There are people who have been waiting two years for their warranty claims to be honored with no end in sight.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tubes/messages/137022.html

Does anyone know if this is indeed the case?

Not that I really care. Would never be able to really afford the WE 300B's.. But that would be quite a shock for some..

Cheers,
Bas

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Not that I really care. Would never be able to really afford the WE 300B's.. But that would be quite a shock for some..

Hmmm...Can't confirm this other than observing the obvious: they're way behind schedule...

The writing was on the wall in 1988 already and with the undercutting of the market by the Russian and Chinese productions this was to be expected.

If it were me, I'd remake those famous little small signal tubes like the WE317A and such and than bank on that.

Errr...not at at 900 $ a pop of course.:D

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.