30 HZ from a 10 X 7 box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The idea has merit and I have been looking. Can't find a tweeter that has an fs low enough that 2 X fs is under 1k
Finding a full range that does not require a large chunk of my tiny box and will handle at least 8 watts + goes up to 20k has been hard but did find a few
TB W1-1942s
TBw2-852sh !
TB W251743s
With a Vas of .005 small enough section of the enclosure
8 watts
good to 20k
low fs
and under $25
If i keep looking I,ll find the perfect one. If anyone has ideas chime in.

You guys have sent me digging for info and specs on every post, it's great!

I have used it, and being a huge TB fan, it was honestly wasn't bad. I actually used it as a full range small monitor for my keyboard and it was just okay. I would say, however, that when you push it, you will know that it's a 2" speaker. It's not going to sound effortless at the listening volumes that you're interested in.

The W5 is a great little driver but be aware that to reach as low as it does, it needs a fairly long port which of course you have to add to Vb. In a 9L box tuned to 35Hz, and limiting the port diameter to 4.5cm (1.77"), you need a port length of 42.75cm (16.83") so add about another litre to Vb. You'll need to right angle the port to fit in your box size too.

Port resonance can be a bit of a problem with this driver too if you want to use it as something more than a subwoofer. The smaller the port diameter here the better but then the trade-off is that port noise might be an issue at higher SPL's. Graphs below show the FR with the 1st resonance blip just above 400Hz and then the port air speed at 15W giving about 92dB. Both are probably acceptable for your intended purposes but you need to choose Vb, Fb and port diameter carefully. Analysis is with Unibox btw.

Also I don't think you can beat the little Vifa full range drivers for quality and price.
Vifa TC9FD-18-08 3-1/2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer 264-1062
Vifa TC7FD00-04 2-1/2" Full Range Paper Cone Driver 4 Ohm 264-1144
Vifa TC6FD00-04 2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer 4 Ohm 264-1126

You can find Zaph's measurements of all of these on his blog page, Zaph|Audio

Attachments

• VB Response TB W5 1138 SMF 5.gif
    VB Response TB W5 1138 SMF 5.gif
    28.6 KB · Views: 229
  • VB PortAirSpeed TB W5 1138 SMF 5.gif
    VB PortAirSpeed TB W5 1138 SMF 5.gif
    22.8 KB · Views: 226
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Also I don't think you can beat the little Vifa full range drivers for quality and price.
Vifa TC9FD-18-08 3-1/2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer 264-1062
Vifa TC7FD00-04 2-1/2" Full Range Paper Cone Driver 4 Ohm 264-1144
Vifa TC6FD00-04 2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer 4 Ohm 264-1126

You can find Zaph's measurements of all of these on his blog page, Zaph|Audio

That last little Vifa 2 inch goes above 15KHz straight ahead, and not bad at 30° off axis either. Not as good dispersion as a dome above 5KHz, but not bad. Off axis highs seem to be more important to classical listeners than popular music, and these are for your grandkids.

Attachments

• Vifa woofer 2 inch.jpg
    Vifa woofer 2 inch.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 199
the JAMO 30466 does not go high enough to replace the tweeter, only 10,500
You evidently did not look at the actual measured response I posted, it is only -3 dB at 16,000 Hz.

The chart below shows the response measured at 12 inches, a rag tucked behind the speaker, three different units.

The link in the prior post also has the off axis dispersion of the line, a single would be the same horizontal dispersion but would not have the extra low end that multiples provide.

There certainly are better speakers available, but not for less than one dollar.

Attachments

• JAMO.png
    JAMO.png
    248.6 KB · Views: 181
Here is a comparison of two of the (many) suggested full range speakers to replace the tweeter for a lower (500-750Hz) crossover of the Tang band W5-1138SMF subwoofer in a .25 ft^3 box. The full range driver will be in a small enclosue internal to the main enclosure.

The Vifa TC7 is rated for 20 Watts but cannot handle 6 Watts.

The Tang Band W2-803SM, rated for 8 watts, and is OK for 90 db at 8 Watts, in a small 10 in^3 internal enclosure. The chrome phase plug makes it look hi-tech and should help reduce distortion.

I am having trouble finding information on acoustic phase. not the Inductive / Capacitive, lead-lag but the 3db phase of the speaker. Does anyone have a good referance? Vance Dickason in the Cookbook mentions it but does not explain it.

Attachments

• TC7 vs W2-803.jpg
    TC7 vs W2-803.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 180
weltersys,
I agree not for a dollar. A second project is for the younger kids to build some (good) speakers themselves, that may get destroyed in the building, Screwdriver through the cone these would be perfect. Thanks

If I do my home-work the Kids will use these for many-many years. I want the 20k upper response for the older grand kids. I am trying to learn about off axis phase

I have that book, but I'm about to run at the moment. He's probably talking about the electrical phase angle at the -3dB on-axis response frequency. Even if not and he's talking about acoustic phase, it would not have anything to do with radiation angle. "Phase angle", electrical or acoustic, means "angle" as in "phase = -30°".

dumptruck, thanks it's in section 1.38 in the forth edition
He's talking about acoustic phase, as shown in fig 1.2 (or it's 1.2 in the 7th edition, the section you're talking about is 1.35 in mine, so it might be different), and the -3dB point in on-axis response. He's mainly just trying to point out that the Q, phase, response, and -3dB rolloff frequency are all directly tied together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.