$30 amp upgraded

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
cheap thrills

Thanks! This makes sense -- there are three leads that conect to the power jack, one sort of in the middle, one at the back and one at the side, and connecting the middle and side leads made the LED go on.

Unfortunately, something else went fzzzzt the second time I did this and now the board seems truly moribund. Perhaps an accidental short to the board surface. So another SI is on its way and I think we've learned that the jacks should stay in place.

Incidentally, a quick search for SIs yesterday yielded this:

http://www.x10.com/electronics/allc...home_&_personal_audio_sonic_impact_5066.html#

which purports to sell them for $3.99. I didn't quite have the nerve to go for it -- the site has a bad feel, asks for your 3-digit credit card check number, and x10 are the same people who were doing those sleazy popunder ads for webcams a while back. But who knows.

Well, I've done some homework on x10.com and it seems that even though many people are dissatisfied with some of the products they sell, they DO receive them.

Call me a sucker with $ to blow, but I'm ordering 13 of them. Total price = $51.87 with free shipping. Not bad, not bad at all.

If I do end up getting ripped off, my credit cards fraud protection has me covered.

Wish me luck,

MEXXX

MEXXX said:
Well, I've done some homework on x10.com and it seems that even though many people are dissatisfied with some of the products they sell, they DO receive them.

Call me a sucker with $ to blow, but I'm ordering 13 of them. Total price = $51.87 with free shipping. Not bad, not bad at all.

If I do end up getting ripped off, my credit cards fraud protection has me covered.

Wish me luck,

MEXXX

I checked the web page but was just too skeptical. I figured they got the decimal off by one place :)

Keep us posted.

Wow bill, I think you might have broke the bank with your order. I was having some trouble with my plastic so I didn't get a chance to place an order until this morning and to my dismay the order button was........... GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank god for cookies!!!! I clicked on the cart icon and it still had my order in the cart and it let me order. Now I'm waiting anxiously with a cold sweat for my order confirmation.

Wish us both luck bill, and you should have ordered 50 ;) .

Can someone help me with the bigger picture here?
I just read this review
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html
I notice the "white paper" from the manufaturer of this circuit is from 1996. AR just introduced a class T home audio amp, for what I assume will be a huge price tag. A very few car audio amps are class T - in my most recent partsexpress catalog there is an MA audio 'HK2000D 750watt Digital Class T Amplifier" for 579 dollars. Since we're talking here about running these with transformers and/or batteries, has anyone used car audio amps similarly? So I've been wondering, if this is silver bullet technology on an IC, why is it taking so long to emerge into the marketplace? Why, if it is so demostrably inexpensive and effective (sonic impact), is it not everywhere we look? And now the ultimate question.. why does it suddenly emerge in a twenty dollar amp available on the end of aisle sale at Target? What' s the big picture here?

Just to add an edit, how would this work as a pretty dynamite 130 dollar home audio amp?
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/discountsonline/blauppa220cl.html

Just to add an edit, how would this work as a pretty dynamite 130 dollar home audio amp?

I may be able to comment soon when I get mine fitted with a proper supply. (Watch Ebay--I got mine for $50.) It relies on a built-in switching supply, so it might give away a few purist points to the SI amps, but it's obviously got more power, and I've read decent reviews of its bigger brother, the PA2150, which I've seen going for under $100. The one caveat I've read is that some have encountered problems with receivers picking up a good deal of RF from these Blaupunkt amps, whether radiated from speaker wires or injected back into inputs.

Well my new cases are finally done. The layout has been changed and I eliminated a foot of wire. I also put in an Alps Blue Velvet and that made a noticable difference on my La Scalas. The two channels are now less than 0.5 K off. With the cheap pot and 104db speakers, imbalance alone was a problem. Below is a look at the tidier build.

Electropt, the posts are out of stock at my suppliers, but they are indeed sold by Calrad/Philmore and are stock # 28-100 I believe. The link here shows the same posts but no-named.

http://www.rpelectronics.com/Defaul...ail=/English/Content/Divisions/Div_31_410.asp

I just gutted the new Sonic I and the board connections are identical. The boards are definately from a different production run than my first board. Far better manufacture and assembly.

What board mods have proved to be worthwhile for those that have completed some?

amt

Attachments

• insidez.jpg
    insidez.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 2,241
Well, some people just get lucky I guess.

Here's a copy of an email I just received from x10.com.

Dear Sean,

Boy did we screw up the pricing on the Sonic Impact Portable Amp model number 5066. But don't worry, you will still get your product at the incredible price of $3.99. You shouldn't have to pay for our mistake.

We appreciate that you have many choices where to shop on line for name brand electronics and thank you for selecting X10. As we continue to expand our selection and drive prices as low as we can, we are sure you will find many more opportunities to shop with us.

There is some not so good news, though. As you might expect, you were not the only one to notice our mistake and we have run out of Amps. We hope you understand, and for such a great price will be patient as we quickly resupply. Just as soon as they come in we will rush yours out to you.

We invite you to call us at 1-800-675-3044, 24 hours a day, if you would like to select an alternate item that is currently available. If you would prefer to cancel this order, please call us at 1-800-675-3044. You may also e-mail us at orders@x10.com.

Thanks,

X10 Customer Support Team

Bill, I think you hit the DIY lotto with your order of 30 units. I wish I had ordered more now.

So I've been wondering, if this is silver bullet technology on an IC, why is it taking so long to emerge into the marketplace? Why, if it is so demostrably inexpensive and effective (sonic impact), is it not everywhere we look? And now the ultimate question.. why does it suddenly emerge in a twenty dollar amp available on the end of aisle sale at Target? What' s the big picture here?

Good questions all with many possible answers, but I think all the answers would fall under the category of audio industry marketing.

Think about this: If you were a manufacturer of audio amplifiers, what would your reaction be if someone came along with a piece of wire that boosted signal power? It would be the worst news of your professional life. (Not saying, BTW, that SI amps are any such holy grail!)

AMT,

Beautiful work! I hope you get around to offering dress-up kits.

Guys,

Nice score on the $4 amps! What are you going to do with 30 amps?

I was going to jump on that great price, too, but I already have 3 other Sonic Impacts and 5 Brian GT Gainclone Kits to build. Damn, I hate it when I can't justify a great deal. Damn.

As for why this technology hasn't appeared earlier, don't companies have to amortize their investments in their production-line machines? Something like seven years, or so? I mean they have to continue production on the older stuff even if a new technology comes out so they can pay off their investment on their production equipment, etc. That's what a teacher told me in high-school, anyway.

Best,
KT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.